@wilsomom, lists and charts.

Saw you mention this on another post and did not want to hijack it, but can you go into more detail? My life is so unorganized that I want to pull my hair out. I bought this white board that is fancy, nice and in a frame and is a calendar. That's the start of my organization, but I need help! What kind of lists do you make? What do they contain? Etc etc
@wilsomom

Comments

• Oh dear, this could take a while lol. Let me write more when I get on the computer a little later. (yes, I schedule my computer time ha ha) Hopefully I can help, because it totally saves my sanity on some days. :)
  • Ok thank you!!!
  • Ok, I have a few minutes here. First let me start by saying I am in no way a slave to my lists or schedules...lol. I mean I follow them about 95% of the time, but there are interrupted days, or project days or someone is sick, etc.

They do help keep my sanity, however, because if I'm in a fog from no sleep or something I can just go to my list and do the next thing. It frees me of stress from worrying if that nasty bathtub is ever going to cleaned (it's on the list for next Thursday!) and it keeps the kids from asking me 5 million questions like can I do this or that? ....Uhhh check the schedule!! :)

I actually have a schedule for every person in the house except my husband (and currently the teenagers) I can show you a copy if you're interested, just for an example. Since it's summer, I don't have any home school activities on it.

I also have the following charts:

1. Kitchen Cleanup checklist for kids - so they know exactly what to do

2. Daily Jobs checklist for kids - other chores not kitchen related

3. Morning Charts & Evening Charts - (make bed, brush teeth, etc.)

4. Choose An Activity List - 15 mins, 30 mins or 60 mins activities to choose from if there's spare time so they don't have to say "I'm bored" or bug me or each other. I just tell them to go choose a 30 minute activity, for example.

5. Reward Charts - I give them a little sticker for anything I'm trying to train at the moment or if they do something exceptionally nice. After 5 stickers they get either a quarter or a piece of candy.

6. Manager Daily Checklist - This is one of my most important items. I literally have everything everyone is supposed to be doing all day long in a checklist format so I can keep up with everything. I keep it on a clipboard. I can write ideas or notes on it throughout the day and refer to it each evening. If I have an appointment or need to do something I can hand it to some other responsible person.

7. Home Management Book - Any family could do this, it's great! I have a 3 ring binder with page protectors. Each day of the week has a list of what that day's duties are. For example, Monday is laundry day. I can go down the list and know that we sort all the laundry, vacuum the laundry room while it's empty, wipe down the washer and dryer, make laundry detergent if it's close to empty, straighten the shelves, etc. (We have a family closet in the laundry room - another topic lol)

There's a list for each day of the week except Sunday. Tuesday is Home Office Day, Wednesday is Kitchen Day, Thursday is Cleaning Day, Friday is Town Day, Saturday is Outdoor Day. This helps me so much!! I list what needs done on each of those days and refer to them every week. If I don't get to everything on the list...no problem, it will be there again next week. Since they're in page protectors I can use a dry erase marker to check things off.

I also put grocery lists, menu plans, important phone numbers, etc in the binder.

Again, I can share if you'd like examples. :)

I also have my little work station/desk area on a kitchen counter top. It has my schedule, a grocery list I can add to as I think of things, my to do list that I can add to as needed, my clipboard with the manager checklist, my Home Management book, my home school binder, etc.

The refrigerator is Organization Central where all the kids checklist charts go, the Activity List, the Reward Charts, etc. I also print out a calendar each month that goes there.

Oh! Another thing I do is let the kids rotate as my "Kitchen Helper". They call it their special day and that's the day they help me extra with meals and (and anything else I need) and that's their day to check the mail, pick the tv show (they watch half an hour a day), sit by mom during read aloud, go on errands etc. Basically it prevents a lot of bickering because whoever's day it is gets to choose most things.

Gosh, I've totally written a book again! Why do I always do that? If you have questions, please ask. This is probably a lot to digest and I'm not really sure if I really went in to what exactly you were looking for. :)

• Wow!!! @Wilsomom :X you are my hero! I'm a list freak, but not nearly that detailed. I'm copying! ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would love copies too! I'll reply further to your post in a bit!
  • edited August 2012
    Ok, I can send you copies if you give me your email addresses. :)

@captivated @thehumancrockpot
  • Thanks @mommyofchristmasbaby and I can email you copies if you'd like too. :)
  • edited February 2013
  • Me to please indiaek@gmail.com
  • Sorry, @thehumancrockpot , I didn't see your email earlier... I'll send it in a bit. :)
  • Me too! dalashayes@gmail.com
  • @thehumancrockpot - your email address didn't work, is there a typo maybe?
  • Omg @wilsomom you're an all star. I'm doing thaFor sure!
  • Wow you are SUPER MOM! I would love to see the examples! my email is sarahmherzog@gmail.com
  • edited August 2012
  • You guys are making me blush lol. It took me years to figure this out & I'm still learning. If anyone has more tips & suggestions I'm all ears! Lol

I especially have a hard time keeping up with the monthly/quarterly/yearly stuff.

Here's another organizing tip...I always put all my appts & bills on the calendar in my smart phone with an alarm to remind me.

Does anyone have more tips? (sorry, don't mean to hijack)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That is amazing!! I'm going to start doing charts!! Every time BD cleans, he forgets certain things. Charts would be perfect! The kids aren't really old enough to help out, but they can straighten up toys, shoes etc! You are awesome!!!!! \m/
  • Yes, it would def work if your bd helps you clean! Glad it will help! :)
  • Of course he helps! He would be castrated if he didn't. He cooks almost every night too! And gets up in middle of night with baby! ;)
  • Lol you are lucky! My hubby is more old fashioned so to speak. He helps & cooks some, but never gets up at night lol. Of course I'm a full time mom, I don't go to school or work outside the home as of right now.
  • We both worked full time. I am very modern as my single father raised me to answer to no man. Him and I have a completely equal relationship. :)
  • Ok, now I'm just nosy! Curiosity killed the cat, lol. Although, I could never go by a schedule, I'd forget it most of the time.

At what child did you feel it necessary to start charting duties?
  • @mijita I started when I had kids 4 but I really wish I would've started WAY sooner.

Growing up, my parents didn't teach me much, just let me wander about my days. So when I got on my own I had NO CLUE how to do anything. It took me forever to figure life out.
  • So I have to guess that these charts are accompanied by a reward chart?

Learning things on our own take time, but they get ingrained and you'll teach your children as you don't want them twirling aimlessly in this world we call life. :p
  • @mijita - I have a reward chart I use for rewarding especially good behavior or learning a new thing....for example, my 3 year old is learning to stay in his seat during meals instead of just randomly getting up, so if he manages to stay in his seat he gets a sticker. Five stickers gets a small piece of candy or a quarter. He's doing really good today, but it took about 3 days of really working on it..lol.

I don't particularly reward for everyday chores that are required to be a part of the family. However, they do get praise and movie night on Friday! ;) I also pay for extra jobs that aren't normal part of daily living...like cleaning out the van, or helping dad clean the garage, etc.

I'm already seeing the fruit of my efforts with my 19 year old daughter. She knows SO MUCH more than I did at her age and she's doing great with her fiance and little boy. I'm so glad! :)
  • See! I knew it, lol. :p
  • Wow!!! I have seven kiddos to manage. Could I have a copy of this as well!!! My email is thebradybunchof6@gmail.com for the most part the kids are great but we need to do something with them to get them more on a set schedule!!!
  • Please email me a copy too :-) @wilsomom I'm a list person too I just have to start fresh again