I know he has teeth coming in but..

edited August 2012 in Babies Health
Damin woke up this morning with a fever. His temp is 101.7 under the arm. I have given him infant Tylenol but his fever won't go down. He has 1 top tooth and 1 bottom tooth coming in right now. Is there anything else i could do to get his fever down or just wait for these teeth to pop thru? BTW he is 10 months!

Comments

• Cool bath, switch between Tylenol, Morton, ibuprofen. Ibuprofen works best for fevers in my kids, I think the fever is a little high to just be teeth though.
  • @my2boys Thanks i'm gonna try the bath. And i gotta go get some Motrin. Should i take him in? I thought fevers were normal with teething?! My daughter never got fevers when she was teething so idk
  • No need to take baby to er for fever. Rotate Motrin and Tylenol. If that doesn't bring it down, call your ped for an appointment tomorrow. The fever is not high at all so I wouldn't worry.
  • And fevers arent a sign of teething. Not over 100.4. Fever is from infection. Viral or bacterial. If it doesn't go down with both meds, that indicates bacterial and will need antibiotics from your ped.
  • My kids never got them with teething, I would keep an eye on it and take him to the doctors in the morning if it is still there.
  • Thanks @captivated I'm gonna keep an eye on him. Hopefully it will start going down!
  • How are you dressing him? Make sure you are using lightweight cotton or just let him roam around in a diaper, that'll help cool him off.
  • He just has a onzie on. But it's really only his head and neck and shoulder area that is hot. His arms, legs and lower half are all normal temp. Idk it's weird! @mijita
  • edited August 2012
    It's his core and head that will take the bulk of the heat. If he's not shivering, I say let him roam around in a diaper. It'll help his core not work so hard.

Oh, you'll know when fever starts getting high because it'll encompass the whole body, not just the core.
  • Ok cool. Thanks! @mijita
  • Lily is one and I've dealt with many fevers from vaccinations. I'm talking fevers that are 103.8° + and they only come down to about 102.2°. Her whole body burns up. It's scary.

You're welcome!
  • I've had the same thing @mijita. Only once with my son!
  • Ok so i took him to the docs just to be safe and she said he's prolly just fighting off a virus. But now this morning i noticed he's starting to get a rash on his diaper line. Welli just changed his diaper and all over his belly and back are these little red spots. Raised a tiny amount just enough to feel them. The only thing in his diet that has changed is his formula. (daddy wanted to try sams club brand instead of Enfamil) So I'm not sure if it's from switching his formula or the virus he's fighting off. I'm gonna take him back to the docs tomorrow but thought i would check if anybody knows what it could be.
  • I find my kids get the diaper edge rash with a fever because that part of the diaper doesn't absorb the moisture from sweating with the fever. I usually find giving them 10-15 of nudie time with each bum change and changing a little more often clears it up pretty fast. Goodluck
  • Ok. I've been changing him more but the rash is on his belly and back also! Idk what to do about it or even what it's from?! @tinka1326
  • My son had some of the same symptoms your son had and his doc said it was roseola. Its a viral infection that starts with a fever, then when the fever breaks, a rash appears, at the trunk of the body then spreads. It lasts about a week. Could be a possibility, id ask your doc. The only treatment was to give him advil or Tylenol to help with the fever and aches and pains. Hope this helps.
  • If it's spread past the areas that his diaper is rubbing then I'm not sure.... might be worth going back to the docs if it seems to be bothering him or if he isn't improving
  • This morning it has spread to his face :( Going to the doc at 1:30. My mom said it could be the same thing you said @3rdtimepreg
  • It's roseola....Ive posted this on a few threads...my daughters fever spiked at a little over 104...after a few trips to the er and a few docs visit it turned out to be roseola...it starts on the core and travels outward....fever for 1-3 days before rash appears, rash for 3-5 days after the fever breaks....I actually found my daughter was so much happier when the rash finally broke out...her fever went down and her rash was home in a little over a day...please don't worry, sounds like.exactly what I went through! Praying peanut feels better!
  • *gone
    Ps.. I totally am not trying to undermine that he doesn't feel good! I read that back and it sounds kinda uncompassionate...just trying to ease your worries! Good luck
  • Agreed with coltensmamma. McKinley had that too. I freaked out and took her in, but by the time the rash set in, it was almost over. She had bumps for about a week, but was feeling better by the time the rash even came. Hope she's feeling better soon.
  • @coltensmamma Your right! He does seem a ton better since the fever broke! I do think you guys are correct. So I'm pretty much just taking him to the doc just for them to say it will go away on it's own! @natashalynn Thanks!!