My baby has to go to daycare- looking for advice

So my babysitter got a job and starting Oct. 4th can no longer care for my baby, who by the way will be 1 in less than a month. The only option is now day care but I'm very nervous about it.

Can you guys give me advice on what to look for and specific questions to ask? I an going to start going to a daycare a day after work to check them out and ask questions.

Comments

• Most important...check their star rating. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 4 or 5 star. How many children to a teacher? What activities do they do? How often do they change diapers? What and when is served for lunch & snack. When is nap time? Discipline policy, biting policy, etc. Is the place clean? How often do they clean the toys?

Go with your gut. We picked a 4 star over a 5 star because the teachers seemed so much friendlier.

* if any daycares around you have a webcam I would highly recommend choosing that place. It will ease your mind!*
  • I work in a day care, but I want to nanny. Have you thought of that? I put a profile on care.com and you could do that of you'd rather have someone come to you!
  • @leviluv8 Honestly a nanny makes me more nervous. The only 2 sitters my baby has had have been close friends or family, having someone I do not know, despite background checks and recommendations, makes new super nervous. I guess just the thought of having someone alone with my baby is what scares me :(

@octmommy As far as the star rating is there some where specific I can look for it? Ooooh the webcam is awesome, I would love to find a place with it. Thanks for the questions, I am gonna write them down :)
  • Just ask them. But it should be posted somewhere in the facility...or you could search online. In NC its under DHHS/division of child development and early education
  • Yea daycare in pennsylvania must be licensed. You can read complaints n inspection reports online. My daycare gives a daily report. They note what time they eat, nap, diaper changes, what they ate /what they did all day. I luv that. Ask what the ratio of staff to babies is.
  • That is very true. The one down fall of day care is all the sicknesses that go arounD! some kids get everything sadly and then they can't be at day care!
  • @leviluv8 can parents ask for references from most day care places? I just read it online and thought its a good idea!
  • Make sure its licensed!!! For sure. Also when it comes to the video cameras u can watch online, there are usually always blind spots where the children can hide or be put in timeout. I've had tons of new parents come from multiple sites that have these cameras that the teachers know where to put the kids in timeout. The teachers had no choice but to fess up when the parents asked about where the kids were
  • Ask if they have a preschool curriculum. If you can drop by unannounced if you want. What their sick policy is. Ratio of kid to teacher. Do they serve breakfast and lunch and snack? When you find one you like, ask them the scariest thing that has ever happened while caring for the kids. CPR& First aid & Sids certified! That's all i can think of right now! I'm sure i will remember more lol
    I'm in the process of opening my own daycare and these are questions i feel like i should be asked by all parents i interview!