WTF FML

Seriously!?! Ontop of the dog fiasco, packing moving etc. Landlord tells me today (husband will be home from deployment getting the keys to the house tomorrow) that in addition to the 1k deposit and 1900 rent for 1st month that we gotta pay him 1900 last month rent tomorrow too. I mean we have it luckily. But wtf dude already sold the hottub that was included with the house (emailed after i paid deposit askin if we wanted to buy it if not he was gonna sell it) So, do I just let him keep the deposit and say eff it and let my husband try to find us another house?

Comments

• Ask for your deposit back.
  • Was the hot tub part of what he advertised and showed during the process of you looking?
  • Can I do that? He said if we decided not to get the house it would be forfeited. But he went against the agreement that I signed. I never signed anything stating last months rent also.
  • oh, and my poor husband is just gonna walk into all this shit unknowingly. Everything is already set up utilities and everything, all he was to do was just move our stuff in. Poor guy
  • He cant charge lasts month if its not in the lease or agreement.
  • He broke the agreement already. I think that would entitle you to your money back. That's just my opinion
  • At this point it's looking like losing the deposit would be better than being stuck w a landlord that just pulls shit out his ass as he goes along. so that brings 1 month due to this dude to 5k including pet deposit. aaaaaaaaaagh
  • Read the contract thoroughly! Why are you forfeiting the total amount? I don't think that is legal, he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes. RED FLAGS!! Go elsewhere, you don't need a landlord like this!
  • It aint worth it. Thats a crazy amount of money for a place. I only pay $675 a month for a 2br house. Idk how big of a place your gettor where but thats just crazy.
  • @Steph_Due_101611 its in AK that's actually cheap for there sadly. yeah the rental app I signed only said the 1900 rent due (1st month) and deposit. Nowhere did it say anything about the forfeit deposit until after I transfered him the money. and that was through email. I just think it's shady, like I said, we have it it's just the principal. I'm upfront with you, be upfront with me yanno?
  • Thats shady as hell. Did you get a copy of what you signed?
  • Make him aware that the initial SIGNED agreement didn't state anything about last months nor forfeiting your deposit. Tell him you've changed your mind. Get out while you can. He can't hold you to anything that was not signed. He's trying to trick you, be smart about it.
  • yeah have it in my email. I'm in Georgia, the house/landlord is in AK. The nature of the beast sometimes. Had to do it on a blind agreement. Husband was supposed to pick up the keys and sign the lease tomorrow.
  • If you haven't actually signed the lease he can't hold your money. He shouldn't have it yet anyways. How'd you find this house?
  • Army housing website. I'll copy/paste what was sent to me after the deposit ( had to put the deposit ahead of the lease cause it was avail 2 weeks ago and we werent there to do the lease at that time) and wanted the house.
    " I will send you a receipt once the transfer is confirmed. The draft lease agreement is attached. Please let me know if you have any questions. As I stated before, the deposit is non-refundable until the lease paperwork is signed, at which time it is subject to the conditions of the security deposit stated in the lease. " he legit owns the house, I checked tax info before I sent it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mama_Kat I called JAG to see what they can help me with. Just irrtating cause I already have my ticket to go up in 2 weeks. Not to mention husbands gonna be PISSED
  • He's screwing you because he thinks you're desperate. How can you agree with what is in the lease of you haven't seen it or signed it!
  • What he's doing is not legal at all!! When you go to pick up the keys have the police with you!!
  • Id back out, there are to many red flags already for my liking. You did not agree to pay last.months rent nor have you actually signed a lease if your hubby is doing so tomorrow. Is tell him you want everything back or will.contact the police.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, I'm hoping I can get my husband to keep a level head about the whole thing. He has a temper from hell and gets past the point of reasoning with him pretty quick. And I won't be there to deal w it with him. Just irritating as hell. Way to screw people over. And yeah by no means are we desperate he can hang out in the barracks until we find a different place if need be. I wish I could punch people sometimes.
  • Call the bank and tell them you want to dispute the transfer. Tell them exactly what's going on and that you will not be moving into the house, if you and your husband decide not to go with it. Personally I see so many red flags, I wouldn't have given him anything until I had the keys in hand. What's done is done but if you decide not to move there dispute the charges with the bank, don't let him keep your money.
  • Contact legal...they will handle it for you. We had to get legal to handle a situation here because of black mold in the house. We got our money back.
  • If he is holding the house for you, as in not advertising it for rent anymore, and you still haven't signed the lease, he is entitled to keep the deposit because he is taking a chance of losing money. What if y'all can't move there for some reason, and he hasn't been advertising it and showing it for however long because y'all promised to move in? Then he's passed up many potential renters on your word that you've now backed out on and ultimately lost money.

This is why he said the deposit was nonrefundable until you sign the lease. Then it will be under the terms of the lease and you'll get it back if you don't break the lease.

As for paying first and last months rent, that is very typical.. its rare that you wouldn't have to pay it. HOWEVER, if it isn't stated in the lease that its due at signing, then he shouldn't be asking for it. That is kind of sketchy.
  • Im pretty sure its illegal in my state to require last month rent on top of first month and deposit . Usually the deposit is suppose to be at least or more than "the last month" if its not within your lease or agreement I dont think he can make you do that. Check your states rental laws and procedures. Good luck.
  • I don't understand why you would send money to anyone without going and meeting them, seeing the house, and signing anything. There are so many people that are good at scamming others especially with this kind of thing. If you sent money and didn't have anything signed...NOT AN EMAIL I'm pretty sure ur sol and he can keep it all.
  • This is way to much going on like everyone is saying huge red flags. U need to move on while u can and before anymore money is put into it. And just try your best you Keep your husband calm last thing u need is fighting going on in middle all this. Good luck keep us updated.
  • it's illegal in NJ to charge more than 1.5 months rent for deposit. i'm not sure how it is where you're moving to, but i'd check it out. if you already signed the lease he can't charge you more. you're also entitled to receive a booklet/pamphlet on renter's rights and responsibilities. if it's in the lease that hot tub is included (or if you have it in writing) he's already broken the lease agreement and i would assume you'd be able to get your money back. may be a fight for it though. good luck
  • @lucyloo288 I understand the purpose of a deposit, but there's a gray area. I gave the deposit and THEN he started making things up as he went. If it were a case of, oh thanks for holding it for us, but we really don't like the floor plan. I'd feel of course he'd be entitled to keep the deposit. But in my eyes HE is the one that is changing the term of the agreement. JAG said don't sign a lease and have my husband bring in all paperwork for them to review BEFORE paying him anything else. Like I told JAG I'm not sure if it's a legal issue or a moral one at this point. As I said it's not that we don't have the $ it's more the principal of the situation. @LaFiiTz89 It's common for military to pay things upfront because when you're moving 5k miles with family (esp to a city with such limited housing options) I'm not sure that he's scamming (as much as he's just a d*ck) I did sign an agreement, though not the actual lease yet, I signed agreeing to 1k deposit and 1st month rent. Then I sent him the deposit. (we use the same bank) It wasn't until I gave him the exact time when hubby would be there to meet him that he added the extra month rent. @jules I wouldn't fight with him about it he just doesn't like people screwing with his family. And when you're talkin the roof over their head and $ out their bank that's 2 of his biggest things.