Holiday Traditions.

So I have no family at all It's just my daughter and I. I would love to hear some of the things you guys do with you families. She's one so I want to start our own traditions. When I was young I was adopted by my big sister, but she never included me in her family things. I'm sure my daughter and her dad's side of the family will do lots of things with her, but I want something for the two of us:)

Comments

• Ooo, this'll be a good thread! My daughter is one and we're going to buy her new christmas pajamas to wear christmas day, she'll open them christmas eve
    Thats all i have lol
  • I used to get a new glass doll every christmas, for easter my friends family had to search for there easter baskets.
  • My parents used to drive us around different neighborhoods on Christmas Eve so we could see all the lights and decorations on the houses.
  • edited October 2012
    Something you might want to start doing is keep a "Holiday Journal". After the season you write a page or so about what happened that year and it's really neat to read them year after year.

I write one page after Thanksgiving and one page after Christmas.
  • We did the Christmas lights and new pj's on Christmas Eve too. Plan to start that with my boys once my husband gets out of the military and we move home.
  • For sure I will do do the Pj thing and lights:) I like the journal idea as well if you add a picture each year would be great. So when I'm an old lady and have grand kids I could read and show pictures of mommy and grammie Aaawww I'm super excited now. At first I was sad cause its only the two of us but I love her so much I just want it to very special for us.
  • Well we gave a lot we always make cute out cookies and that evening we walk or drive through neighborhood looking at lights. My aunt does the pj before Christmas. But also Christmas eve we have a Christmas eve dinner with clam chowder and play games. Sometimes we watch white Christmas or go to Christmas eve service at church if it falls on Saturday or Sunday. Then Christmas morning we do stockings then my dad makes big breakfast then we open presents from youngest to oldest and we keep taking turns until everyone is done. But that is with my parents. I'm sure will do something special with our lo because she will be 1. Knowing me I will make her pj every Christmas if I want to continue that on. And maybe make an ornament every year with her :)
  • My family always did sugar cookies.. we'd roll them out and decorate them. It would be fun for you and her, and then you can give them to special people.. like her teacher, or the mail man or something. Its gonna be messy, but its so worth it!

And my husband's family does funnel cakes on Christmas morning.. after stockings and Santa (yes, Santa still comes for us.. even me and my husband, Lol), we set the table all fancy with Christmas themed plates and have funnel cakes, link sausage and oj!
  • Christmas is pretty much all traditions for my sideof the family,
    My mom would bake gingerbread cookies,y sister and I would decorate them, and my dad would guess who did which ones! (Loved that!!)
    Xmas eve, Wed have fondue, (meat free) and then watch either the miracle on 34th st or its a wonderf
    This year is our first year as our own family (we lived with my parents last year) and I'm so excited to do our own things and make our own traditions!!
  • Cookies for Santa and carrots for reindeer! That would be great.
  • We do the Pj's also. And we take 20 each. We each get $20 to buy each other stuff for our stockings. We also bait the raindeer, oatmeal and glitter work good (throw it out on your front lawn) Santa always leaves a little something behind because he was "in a rush". Last year his hat got caught in the fireplace screen. The kids freaked out.
  • When I was younger we would make cookies for Santa. We drink egg nog and decorate the Christmas tree. Have a Christmas eve dinner and we would open presents from my mom and grandma. Christmas day was for santas gifts and going to my great grandma's house. We didn't have many so I want to make more for my son.
  • We make reindeer food too. It's instant mashed potato flakes with glitter. You sprinkle it outside before bed and either the dew or snow melts the flakes overnight!
  • Glitter and oatmeal outside as reindeer and so Santa sees your house! Make a homemade pizza as a snowman dance around in Christmas pjs to Christmas music leave elf footprints around the house (with flour) read the night before Christmas go look at lights with hot chocolate make cookies make ornaments make a gingerbreaouse go ice skating/sleedind hang mistletoe put up lights
  • Every year since I was little my mom would buy me a stuffed animal. I am 22 years old and she still does it lol. I have a daughter of my own this year so maybe grandma will pass the tradition and buy her one. We always open one gift Christmas eve which everyone looks forward too. I like the Christmas pj idea. I am going to do that with my daughter!
  • Made cookies, then left them with done milk for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer. And my brother and I left a note for him too. I hope you fine something special for you and your little one :)
  • Thank you ladies for sharing:)
  • We did the pj thing too growing up. I think we will do the same for our lo. We had xmas pj last year for her. We set out cookies for Santa on a special plate, I can't remember what it said.