2nd time mommy a lil nervous

edited March 2011 in Second pregnancy
I had my son in 08 nd I'm due with my 2nd bby in 6wks I had a c section with my son cause he was huge lol but I was wondering if anyone has had a planned c section is so I'm really nervous about the whole cathitor thing..silly right?? But with my son I had the epidural already so I didn't feel it when they put it in...so my question is do/are they putting it in before or after the spinal?? I'm so nervous lol

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I believe they do it after. I had an epidural and don't remember it being a big deal. About the catheter.
  • Yea I asked my doc nd he said after as well so I'm not as nervous lol but thanks =]]
  • Your cathetor goes in after you have had your spinal block for your c-section. So, you can't feel it going in, coming out is a little uncomfortable but nothing painful! The actual spinal was the worst pain for me, that sucker hurt!
  • @Kateee10 aww man..is the spinal diff from the epidural?? I had a epidural before they told me I was goin to have a c section so it hurt but contractions where worse for me..now I'm nervous again lol but thank u for being honest I would've went in blind nd never expected it =]
  • I dunno, I never had an Epidural! All I know is the spinal makes your entire lower half completely numb & it wears off a few hours later.
  • An epidural is typically a catheter placed in your lower back that kills pain from the waist down. There are two types, normal and walking, walking kills the pain w/o the numbness involved in the normal one. A spinal, on the other hand is a shot directly into your spinal cavity, it numbs you from the chest down. I actually felt like I was paralyzed, but the doctor laughed at me and told me to wiggle my toes, so I sent what my brain thought was the signal to do that, and my toes moved! I couldn't feel them, but they sure did move, it was a crazy feeling. Your spinal typically only lasts about 2 hours whereas an epidural will provide constant medication.

One thing to note with the spinal, you can't feel yourself breathe, you're breathing, you just can't feel it. I was sitting there talking saying "i don't think I'm breathing? like I have to make myself breathe?" The doctor asked me how I was taking if i wasn't breathing, lol. I put my hand on my chest and found I was infact breathing, I just couldn't feel it.

By the time my surgery was over and I was in recovery breastfeeding my feeling was slowly coming back, I was up and walking within about 5 hours of the procedure feeling completely normal.
  • Lol so when u have a c section do u get a spinal or epidural cause I know I had a epidural before we went to do the c section nd I remember being numb nd everything like tht but I was sleepy I was awake off of 4 hrs of sleep lol so Idk lol but I'm goin to definitely ask my doc
  • edited March 2011
    that depends, you only get a spinal if you haven't had an epidural, if you already have an epidural they just up the meds.

Typically planned sections get spinals, spontaneous ones use epidurals as its already in place.