Twins

When is it possible to find out if they are fraternal or identical? Im soo curious:)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I was wondering the same thing...do u know if they share the same sac? That's almost 100% identical. Mines share a different sac so I have pretty much a 50/50 chance of either or. U just gotta wait n see
  • Should be at your ultrasound.. same sac is identical, different sacs is fraternal.. I believe.
  • @caroline_8 thts correct learned that n psychology class
  • U can still have identical with a different sac.
  • Cant tell untill u deliver I was pregnant with identical twins when delivered the sack was taken to the lab to find out
  • Gosh im so curious, my dr said from the looks on the ultrasound they look fraternal :) but I was just wondering, thanks for the responses they are greatly appreciated :)
  • How soon were u able to find out u were having twins??
  • I was 5 1/2 weeks at my first ultrasounf :)
  • I'm secretly hoping I have twins and that one was hiding behind the other, hehe
  • Lol :) im sooo nervous. but I hope you get what your wanting! @ my 5 1/2 us there were 2 sacs. I think its dangerous if they share the same sac... But im no dr lol :) goodluck!
  • @caroline8_p shhh don't tell my husband but I was/am hoping one is hiding too ;) lol id love to have a girl and boy twins.. I just saw a pair of twins at the laundry mat this past Sunday. Soo adorable :) barely walking
  • Awe :) I really want fraternal twins, I would hate to mix them up, lol. But id be satisfied with just 2 happy healthy babies as well :)
  • The only way to know in utero is if they share the same bag of waters (identical) or if you have boy/girl (fraternal). If, like mine, they share seperate amnionic sacs they CAN still be identical and a DNA test or placental analysis still be able to tell you. Another way is to ask their blood types after birth. It's procedure to test their type, different types or rH factors rule out the possibility of identical twins.

FYI fraternal twins can look very similar too. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are fraternal twins.
  • amniocenthesis would also tell you before their born, but lets hope no one has to go that route.
  • hmmm good information :) I guess I will just have to wait til September then to find out
  • Identical twins can have a thin membrane between them but technically it is still the same sac with one placenta, since its 1 egg splitting into 2 children. Fraternal twins have two different placentas attached to the mom, since its two eggs being fertilized.