Medicaid...

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
I have noticed ALOT of women on here say they have Medicaid. Whats the process of getting it? Do u think I can get it after I have the baby since I'm not married? I pay for my own insurance right now but hey I'm gonna have to pay for a baby pretty soon too. Hope I don't offend anybody but I always felt like I'd be too embarassed to get it.

Comments

• go to your local social services and see if u can get it......
  • I've never been on gvt assistance til now. Same place where you would apply for food stamps, if you don't know, it should be in the front of the phone book. Good luck.
  • Are they really strict? I make about $2000 a month, its not bad but not alot either...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have never been on assistance until now either, last year my hubby lost his job and we lost all of our medical insurance. They are strict, in MI I think the max is 2000, not for sure though, but you have to show where that money goes, like if u have rent, or a mortgage, stuff like that
  • yea just check it out .... its not like ur applying for food stamps cash or etc
  • It depends on household size and income limits vary by state.
  • Also I am only covered until three months after she is born
  • I think 2000 is too much for food stamps, idk. But not sure about medicaid. Each state varies I believe.
  • Do u have alot of choices of what medical providers u can go to? I work in the medical field and my employer does not accept Medicaid & I want to make sure my baby gets the best care.
  • Even if you hubby pays 'those' bills, say u do. That should help.
  • Yes, they pay for your ob visits, prescripts, mine does eye care, even though I don't need that, and dental. Wish I would got that instead, but I'm not using it to beg for anything, ill take what's offered.
  • in NJ yes there are lots of places that accept my medicaid insurance & have good ob-gyn and awsome pediatric etc
  • Your 'houshold' can be different than the entire house. I had to do that.
  • edited March 2011
    Food stamps is not medicaid, nor wic the same as medicaid. They're different processes. Medicaid is simply medical help. I felt the same way but it's helped alot! I also signed up for wic. Times are hard anf nobody should be enbarrassed. Like previous ladies said, it's based off income. Plus some states are making it so you have to pass a drug test to apply which I 100 percent agree with.
  • So I can get it before I have the baby...so it can cover birth costs?
  • yes mam u can....
  • Thanks soooo much guys, I'm gonna put my pride aside and save money :)
  • Just to get medicaid where i live you have to supply everyone's name living in the house and their income.
  • I wish they'd do drug testing here!
  • i got my medicaid the next day i applyed lol it helps sooo much
  • edited March 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @FirstTimeMommyToBe : Thanks for the advice hun. Right now I have BCBS & am already getting prenatal care with my ob/gyn...hoping I can stay with her after/if getting medicaid.
  • I agree, I meant just in general, especially for food stamps and the people who live off of it cause they don't want to work. I'm not downgrading, just my opinion. I know people need help.