drop side cribs recalled

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
So I just wanted to make sure that everybody knows that every brand ,make and model of drop side crib have been recalled by the federal government it is also illegal for anybody to see these at yard sales and such so just please protect urself and ur beautiful babies from these dangerous cribs

Comments

• That is crazy! We have a used crib that's a drop side!
  • edited March 2011
    @misty2011 Well I suggest u don't use it does it have any plastic pieces in the assembly for the drop side
  • Wait wut... I have one and I'm gonna use it for the next baby. I'm short so I can't reach baby in a normal crib
  • I think if they have the plastic pieces - then they are definitely recalled.
  • my daughter broke the plastic pieces that's why she is in toddler bed now.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yea they have been recalled it was even featured on "the doctors" tv show if u go to their website. U will find a video about it
  • @mommyof3boys the piece to slide it down is made out of plastic.
  • Yea the ones with plastic pieces are the biggest part of the recall
  • @misty2011 yep it is recalled they are extremely dangerous a lot of babies have died in them in the last yr
  • ummm whats drop side crib??
  • @mommyto1soontob2 Oh please be very careful with it! There have been way too many injuries and deaths associated with drop side cribs. The baby can get caught and suffocated or strangled between the railing and the mattress. If you can afford it, I know there are several fix side cribs with a smaller/lower level side for shorter people, one of which my future sister-in-law used (she's 4'9). It was decently priced, a bonus because she wasn't able to afford many of the other cribs on the market. I will try to find the model for you, if you are interested.

Here is one of the articles detailing the ban and the necessity of it. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40678788/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/)
  • edited March 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2011
    A drop side crib is one that has a side that moves up and down @jayden_mommy21
  • Good post @mommyof3boys. Its a huge recall. Babies heads were getting stuck in them. I wouldn't recommend using one.
  • @FirstTimeMommyToBE..oooo i get it...sorry i feel dumb now..
    @mommyof3boys: o okay i get it
  • I used to work at Babies R Us a year or so ago, and I have heard many stories from parents who have had children or relatives injured by them. It always made me sad to hear this infants where getting hurt, and I was glad they made the move to recall and ban the sale of them, particularly after I did a heavy amount of research on them myself. I am hard to scare, but the statistics and facts about them shook me to the bone.

However, as the other poster mentioned, for shorter individuals these cribs were a life-saver, on top of the fact many models of them where less expensive than a regular crib. Thankfully there are more options for cribs nowadays, with many considerations to different heights and needs, than there have been before.
  • I just wanted to make sure all u mommys are informed I couldn't imagine something happening to a precious baby because of a recalled crib bein used because the parents that don't know .....so to everyone that has one please please please get a fixed side crib
  • Thank you for informing me! Atleast I'm not any further along, I still have a little while to get a new one.
  • edited March 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I bought my new crib at walmart it is a fixed side and it is great it cost 200$ but also came with a full size dresser with changing table on top it is great my 2 yr old used a fixed side too and I thought it would be hard at first but it really isn't and I am 5'1
  • Ur welcome anything to keep a baby safe
  • I can't aford another one. So my dad said he would leave the side down for when baby is newborn and screw it in place. Then when baby gets bigger He said use a stool. He's screwing the side up permently. But I'm using pack and play for as long as I can. I'll have another csection so I gotta be careful bending.
  • Yea just a second and I will post it
  • What I did was put the drop side part against the wall. But now we are using a pack n play for the new baby. My 16 month old son is in a toddler bed now
  • @firsttimemommytobe

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Relax-2-Piece-Nursery-in-a-Box-Walnut/13376345

this is the link to the crib and dresser changing table combo we bought and it is great and very well made it is verryyy sturdy
  • No it went together perfect I love it ! Its just as sturdy as a 3 or 4 hundred $ crib and the dresser is very sturdy I even change my 2 yr olds diapers on it it don't wiggle or anything I absolutely love this combo set
  • We have a drop side and I have had 3 200 + lb men push and pull on it and the gate stayed up. Didnt even try to budge. Just puttin it out there.