Anyone Have WIC?

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
So with wic what does it give you for help? & how long does it take to get it after you have a meeting with them?

Comments

• You can get vouchers the same day...milk eggs cheese fruit veggies bread cereal juice...I had it with my older kids...gonna go apply next week since they are in the same building as my dr office
  • My first meeting I got my checks...I have Medicaid so I automatically qualified...I get milk, eggs, peanut butter, bread, juice, fruit, cheese and veggies...but only certain kinds and only a certain amount per month..they're lkind of strict...they also said they'd get me a breast pump :)
  • I have Wic I get food every month like milk cheese eggs peanut butter beans fresh fruits n veggies juices and you get four checks a month. They help you stay healthy n learn about your pregnancy. I went in when I was 6 weeks n I got my checks that day. They give you more too as you het further along and once you've had the baby.
  • @jenn_929 I called today and they got me in for next Thursday it also could be because I'm due august 7th

@starrxoxo9 that's awesome I hope I get some help and is the breast pump new & is it yours to keep?
  • at your first visit you get youtyou get your wic checks at your first apt.. while your pregnat they give you milk fruits vegies tuna cheese beanes and peanut buter.. after your baby is born and a month old they will supply formula.. if you bottle feed but they dont suply the formula for the first monthe to encourage breast feeding..
  • I personally don't like wic i hate the hassel of the appointments always busy always packed.... I don't like the formula they put the baby on and how hard it is or sometimes not even possible to switch the kind of formula. Personally I use my food stamps for that anyways or buy it myself. I do think its a good and helpful program just not for me....
  • I have wic...this is my first pregnancy and I just went to my first wic appt on the 14...i attended a lil class that last bout 15mins then u went to a 'teller' and filled out some papers then went back to the waiting room then I was called by another lady and she asked me what I drank and ate...then about 5 mins later my checks were ready...they gave me 4 checks for this month and 4 checks for april to may...i shopped right when I left...checks are for fruits, vegetables, rice, juice, milk, cheese, peanut butter..... :)
  • when I got my wic my son was probably a wk old and I got my formula and stuff the same visit
  • @ghettobetty I def appreciate the info and honesty I also applied for snap I lost my job in feb and its really hard with money and I'm not using anyone I feel bad but I wanna do what I can do for my baby
  • @mommy2be92 I'm not sure if its brand new, I forgot to ask, but she said they are the good electric kind, and I can keep it. I can't imagine they'd give me some dirty junky thing to put on my bare boob lol...
  • Oh and don't feel bad about getting help, that's why its there. Plus when you did work, your taxes helped pay for programs like wic, so you deserve it! :)
  • It's a new pump
  • @ghettobaby you can switch the formula u need a recommenation from your Dr when you take it to the wic office they will reprint any remaining checks in the new formula, you just can't change brands.

Wic is a great program if you qualify I sadly do not, from my experience though if you are getting too much of one thing like way to much milk a month you can request that you receive. More of something else instead.
  • I don't qualify but I definitely encourage those that do. Its a great program. My sister used it and it promotes a healthier lifestyle for mom.
  • edited March 2011
    @starrxoxo9 is that something they offer to everyone...
  • I was at the office today :D the ladies who work at the office I go to are super nice. I have Medicaid so I qualified. The checks help out a little, but the rules are pretty strict. No organic stuff except fruits, veggies, and tofu for example. Finding a 16oz ) bag of bread can be a challenge too.
  • edited March 2011
    They gave me a new hand pump.... didn't work though. That's the last time I went to wic. I know you need a Dr excuse to change but the Dr doesn't always agree and I prefer soy formula after brestfeeding my Dr found no need for it even though similac was upsetting my babies tummy. I'm glad I switched and went of wic but again I'm not bashing the program I think its great just too much of a hassle for me especially when my foodstamps cover it fine and I choose exactly what I want no red tape to go through.
  • Strict is right pain in my booty LOL
  • I went into the wic office n got my checks the same day. U have to attend a short meeting before they hand them out. N after baby is born. Baby can stay on wic til he or she is five yrs old
  • @lae3 in sc wic supplys u with formula from birth
  • not anymore... they chsnged it last oct.. unless you have a medical reason and drs note... live in sac girl.. and i have an 11 month.. baby.. i actually think its a good thing.. i think all moms should a least try.. its best for your baby.. even if its only for the first 2wks.. at least you could say you honestly tried..
  • mommyof3boys
  • victoriab ive only found one brand of 16oz bread its saralee classic weat.. if your grocer doesnt carry it talk to management and ask them too.. they usually dnt mind ordring it...
  • I went in yesterday and had to attend a meeting then got a month worth of wic right then. The wic office helps a lot they offered me a free breastfeeding class, and they asigned me a nurse to call whenever I need to talk and to come to my house if I need help breastfeeding. Its pretty awesome, I'm going to be a first time mom so I need all the support I can get.
  • everybody is talking about checks. yall don't have a wic card?
  • Another good thing is.. after you deliver, you can rent top of the line breast pumps from them for free and unlimited use. I had a automatic double pump that was loaned out. Worked wonders!
  • No WIC cards in Cali yet.. at least not in the San Francisco Bay Area locations.
  • We Have cards in texas, i'm going on monday to my meeting, I used to work at a grocery store and the cards are soo much easier
  • @kimberly4411 yeah I am from texas too guess every state doesn't have it yet. your right so much easier lol