Are home pregnancy tests accurate?

edited January 2011 in Trying to conceive
Does anybody know how accurate home pregnancy tests are? I took one on the day I was supposed to have my period, but it said I was not pregnant. I think I am, because I'm having allot of symptoms related to pregnancies, the most imported being morning sick. Should I wait another day??

Comments

• You shouldn't wait another day! What did the test say?
  • About two weeks ago hun I took a pregnancy.test, because I started feeling weird and it came out negative.. My period wasnt even supposed to come til last week or the one before that.. And I just took 2 test and im 3 weeks pregnant
  • Aweeeee. You excited? I'm like a month.
  • Some tests are more accurate than others, of course. But I think most home tests can't detect the pregnancy until about 4 weeks. I would take one once a week for a few weeks if you're pretty sure you are pregnant and got a negative.
  • I took 2 days befor my period, and it said pregnant. They r getting better, but i agree with jwigs, you ca have a couple of negs before the one pos.
  • Girls I wasted like almost $70 bucks, cause I couldnt believe it. And all 4 came out positive, except the one I took a couple of weeks back, but thats probably because I didnt have enough hormones for it to be positive.. But I am 4 weeks and superr happyy.
  • Hi claudii and ana, congrats!!! im also 4 weeks along and very exited, but also scarred. And its my second one.
  • I'm 6 weeks and just found out :)
  • They detect a chemical in your system only created when your preg. The further along you are the more of this chemical there is to detect. So if you feel you are but its very early I would wait a couple days then take another. A false negative early on can happen. A false positive rarely happens.
  • As off today im 2 days late im having uncomfy pains in my areas should I test now or wait a week cause last month I was a day late
  • At home tests rarely give false positives. I got my tests from the dollar tree. First one I baught said positive and I didn't trust it because it was only a dollar so I went back and baught 3more....all positive again. That's when I called the doctor and confirmed pregnancy. You can get a false negitive if the pregnancy hormone is too low. If you feel ur pregnant and are getting a negitive your doctor can sched a blood test. Blood tests are more accurate because its easier to find the pregnancy hormone in the lab.
  • I had the same kind of worries but i would advise you to see a doctor if you are. unsure
  • @annamazing, congrats. There are a coupe of us who are now 5-6weeks alone. We should form a group.
  • @Alina30 Oo we should !! I am new to this so I'm not sure how to make one . It could be all first trimester women :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ya, I would give it a couple days then test again. If you are a week or more late and still neg I would try your Dr.
  • Im four weeks now! Yay first one and super excited. But for the pt, i took one 2 weeks ago and it was neg, then i started to get sick and run a bad fever, so i took three just 2 days ago and they were al positives. Give it about another week or two.
  • I took four pregnancy test all of em say not pregnant but I haven't seen my period in this month but it say im 5 weeks now idk what to do