ADHD - Looking for Opinions, and Self/Future Children

edited March 2011 in Military moms
I have had recruiters for both the Navy and the Air Force (Active Duty and Reserves) contacting me through the mail and via phone calls. Apparently it has to do with my high testing scores, along with the fact I am a Nursing student being the biggest selling point for them. Given my fiance is now enlisted with the Army, I was not as interested as they hoped. However, I still decided to go ahead and research the options before totally dismissing either of them.

You learn something new every day - I did not realize the fact that I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in December would have the high likelihood to disqualify me from any military branch! :O This is not just limited to those who have been recently diagnosed, but who, at any point, have been diagnosed.

In order to qualify for enlistment, I would have to follow several steps leading up to a medical review board in order to be considered for processing. Even then, it can be a very touch-and-go ordeal, depending on who is involved and where you are enlisting.

A potential recruit has to be off of his or her medicine for a year or more prior to enlisting, with documentation of doctor's authorization of approval to cease medication. During MEPS, a recruit should demonstrate no signs of ADHD (no impulsiveness or inattentiveness, being the two biggest key traits looked for); this gives the recruit a potential of being processed without a doctor's waiver. He/she will still require a full medical review. However, if the recruit was diagnosed during school, a recruit may still need a doctor's waiver along with a school transcript of before and after being on, then off, medicine, along with a review by the branch's medical department. All of this does not guarantee processing - one can still be denied enlistment.

While this does not affect me personally, as I had little interest to join to begin with, it does give me something to keep in mind about my future children, especially if they want to follow in daddy's foot steps. Granted, I am very glad the military has changed their policy on ADHD; in the past, ADHD was an instant disqualification, according to the research I have done.

Has anyone run into this problem or known someone who has? How did it resolve itself? What is your opinion? Some people consider having ADHD a stigma when it comes to attempting to enlist ("ADHD people are lazy/incompetent")- do you agree or disagree?

Comments

• I was diagnosed with adhd as a child. They told my parents I would always be a D student. Oh how wrong they were. My mother refused to believe this and refused to medicate me. She controlled my behavior by working with me and my diet. I still struggle with it today but it's mild. I went through school as an A, B student will help of tutors and being in a school system (catholic school) willing to work with me instead of putting me off in a special class. Then by high school I didn't need tutors anymore and became an A student on my own still with ADHD. Then went on to a private University!
    I find it offensive to list people with ADHD as lazy or incompetent! I learn differently yes! but this does not in anyway make me incompetent!
    I find it interesting that this is military policy when I personally know someone in the Army who is extremely ADHD. And trust me you can tell just by talking to him. He is not incompetent and actually the military is the best thing for him. He has high ranks and took medicine all through school for ADHD. I'm not sure if he still does now though.
  • I'm ADHD on a severe scale and "lazy" and "incompetent" would be the last words anyone would use to describe me. Granted my attention span when not on medicine is extremely short I have an inability to stay still. And while I have a hard time paying attention to things that are of no interest to me, I'm extremely smart. Math and Science are my favorite things, I can read a science journal on human genetics for hours, medicated or not. I think it varies from person to person, but honestly if someone has ADHD, not just the ADD aspect, I don't know how they could be called lazy. And if someone is interested enough in the military then it could even have advantages.

Howevet, I am beyond impulsive, very easily bored, and can be very immature.
  • As far as ADHD goes for me as an adult its little things I notice. Not always paying attention like movie theaters are horrible especially if I don't like the movie I cant sit still! and I lash out at times and say mean things being thinking about what I'm saying. Does that make me incompetent? I don't think so.
  • @fingerscrossed this crap happened to me! I enlisted in the army and my recruiter made me lie at meps and blah blah blah i got in went to basic and was forced to tell them that i have ADHD and was only off my meds for like 3 months....they gave me a medical discharge :( i was super pissed off!
  • I think this should be a form of discrimination!
  • @Ghettobetty I agree! I'm smarter than 99% of the people I graduated with! So what I can't pay attention, I hear what's being said even if I'm talking to someone else. What's so bad about being medicated? It's fixing a problem, that's supoosed to be a good thing.
  • I can pay attention when I want to!
  • Im so sad because my boy have it. I know he us a smart baby just he cant give attention to anything just toy Trains lol. Here in Panamá they dont have any special school for him, luckly my husband decide to go back to illinois and there they have that kind of school. I trust in God i know my. Baby with the correct care will be normal and special like fe is for me
  • And im agree he pay attention when ge like and us more smart than others babys i know. Gael is 3 years old :X
  • @ghettobetty I, too, was extremely surprised to read from some of the comments that I was considered "lazy" or "incompetent" because I have ADHD. If a subject or topic interests me, I am highly motivated to learn all I can about it to master it. If it is an action, I am eager to do all I can to gain the skill. I can be unintentionally inattentive at times, yes, but it does not make me lazy - it means I have to work harder to pay attention than everyone else who *chooses* to be inattentive. My ADHD does not make me incompetent by any means; I would go so far as to say it helps me, as I use creative problem solving skills others may not because they are stuck inside the proverbial box.

@Maranda3 I was very resistant to medication after my diagnosis in December, and it is written on almost every single chart associated with my diagnosis and treatment because I was so adamant about not being on medication. However, I am glad I recently began to take a low dose as needed, and I have seen a world of change. It has done amazing things for my attention span and my constantly-on-the-go state of being. I find I am more social on my medication, since I am not being so easily distracted by the things (ie, noise) around me, therefore I can actually pay attention to those around me. I am as well very easily bored (and slightly immature ;) ), but I do not think of these things as negative, nor does it seem you do either. I agree with your point that if someone had an interest in the military, it could be very beneficial for all involved.

@Chels I am sorry to hear that. :( I was told by a friend in one of the branches that it depends on where you end up and what you do about whether or not you get discharged. She said she had confessed to lying about a portion of her background (she had tried pot but was not a habitual user) per recruiter's pressure, and her officers shrugged it off because "everyone lies to get in" and they were used to it. Since I would be going in for a medical field, I would have to have my medical records accessed, so it would be discovered sooner or later.

@keylanieq I am glad your little one is under the right care. :) In my case, it went undiagnosed for twenty-two years, so my family and I had a bit of a rough time, but now things are squared away.