birth plans

edited March 2011 in Giving birth
So my doctor asked me to have my birth plan ready for my next appt. I know what I want as far as an epidural, induction methods, and skin to skin bonding...what else is important for me to consider?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Make sure to tell the Dr what you would want them to do if they would have to pull the baby out use forceps sp? Or the vacuum thingy. I was adamant about the Dr not using forceps bc it messes with the optical nerve causing extremely bad eye sight and back problems. I was a forcep baby so I didn't want my kid to deal with those problems. I made sure to tell my Dr that I don't want a c section unless absolutely necessary. certain what if things like that is good for your Dr to know.
  • This is a really good post. I've got the basics but I want a little more detail in mine. Especially since my dr is against how I want a natural birth.

@homebirthadvocate- you are awesome. You have answers for almost every question asked on here. It is very helpful. Thank you so much. :)
  • So food is a good one. If I pack some jello or something will I be allowed to eat it? And will they do the circumcision right there in the hospital?
  • edited March 2011
    One thing I would like to add is a birth plan may also include a delivering mother's preference regarding an episiotomy.

Two tips (not directly related to the content of the birth plan) I was given is to make sure your doctor signs the document, not just looks over it and gives his/her vocal approval, and when you go to pack it, make sure you have three or four copies of the birth plan. This way you can keep a copy, the nurses can have a copy, and daddy or a relative can have a copy, in order to insure you get the experience you desire.
  • I never thought about having the dr sign it. Thats a really good idea.