depressed.. :(

my fiance joined the army. we were already engaged and planning a 2012 wedding but because he joined we moved the wedding up to this year. we decided to start ttc since he will be leaving for basic training two weeks after the wedding. most of my family keeps on telling me that just because we are married we dont need to be trying for babies and we have a lot of time and this and that. my mom has already said that it would be completly fine with her if we had a baby she would just perfer if we were both on the same page and really ready for it. which we are.. he said he has been waiting for me to be ready to have a baby, he has wanted one for almost a year now. ok.. so the depressing part. i know im the baby in the family and i get thats why dad doesnt want me to rush into having kids, mostly because he is already starting to feel old with the wedding so close. but i really feel like my step mom and step sister are really getting irritated with me and my fiance. my step sister has been engaged for almost 3 years. her wedding later this year and she is almost 30. the ONLY reason why she is getting married this year is because her soon to be in laws said they would pay to put her back in school to finish her degree if they got married so they will give them grand children. my step sister has been dead set against having kids before marriage because she wanted to be different from her friends and some family and blah de blah blah.. anyways its already bad enough that my step sister and my step mother see my wedding as informal and have been nit picking it apart since we moved it up. yesterday they mentioned how i need to WAIT till my sister has kids first since im getting married first... this depresses me.. why should i have to put my dreams of being a mommy on hold because my sister couldnt finish her degree 8 years ago with one semester left and get married 2 years ago? why should it be so important that she have kids first?? now i feel like if i do get pregnant im going to have to make it look like an "accident" to them.. any advice??

Comments

• You shouldn't have to wait for anyone! You you and your fiance are ready, that's all that matters!!
  • I kind of know how you feel... my mother in law told my husband and I that we had to wait to have kids until we had been married for at least 5 years because that's what they did, but of course my hubby listens to everything his mommy tells him to do. I get it... its frustrating having someone else trying to run your life and make important decisions for you. If they don't like it... to hell with 'em! Do what you feel is right for you guys!
  • You know what its your life your body and if your ready go for it hunny!!!! Forget about them and what they say when it comes to what makes you and your fiance happy!!!!! I think you should try bc im not trying to scare you but with him.going into the military who knows what could happen after his basic esp. With what's going on over in japan you know. Heaven forbid nothing happens but I think you would regret not trying and having one if something were to happen. If they really love you they will support you!!"" Go for it girl show them who you really are lol..... its your step mom and sounds like step sister. Your the real deal and if your real family supports you that's all that matters!!!! I love my step dad but you know what my real dad means more to me in opinions!!!! Good luck with everything!!! God bless your fiance as well!!!
  • I totally agree with everyone else! Do what you guys want why listen to them....same thing kinda happened to me...my parents weren't happy I had my first,(I was to young 22 and still in school) now I want my second and my sis said I need to wait cause we aren't financially stable(who is?) So I decided not to tell anyone else and we r still trying...forget them! Its your life you'll regret later that u didn't do what u wanted....good %%-
  • First off, I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your family. :(

Second off, people have different types of weddings. Informal, formal - does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Surprisingly, a grand wedding does not have to have a year or more of planning; very beautiful weddings can be done in a matter of weeks if you have the right resources and skills. Besides, it is YOUR wedding, and if you are doing it the way you and your fiance want, then they should show you respect by not nitpicking it. Unless they are the ones marrying you in the end, then it really shouldn't matter to them.

As for my third point, you should not have to wait and go by their schedule. If you and your fiance are ready, then you should have children on your time. From everything you have said and from what you have posted, it seems that you and he are in a loving, very committed relationship, and you have mutually decided to start a family together. You do not have to make it an accident, at least in my opinion. If your step mother and step sister want to start a family ordeal over the fact you are/will be pregnant, then it will only make them look bad, not you. You do not owe anyone an explanation for how you live your life, especially if it makes you and your fiance happy.

It sounds like you are marrying the love of your life for the right reasons, and the child you two bring into this world will be surrounded by love from its parents. With your fiance being in the military, you will have a steady income to boot. My best advice is to continue on with your plans, because your dreams and the happiness of you and your fiance are the most important things in this world. Everything else is secondary.

How close are you to your step mother and step sister?
  • @fingerscrossed my step sister and i used to be very close and i was as decently close with my step mom... until this.. like right now.. i was doing silk flowers for the wedding and i think i had it all pretty much under control.. and they saw the flowers and were like you cant use those.. we are calling a florist.. which is fine because they are paying for it (the only thing anyone besides me or my fiance have paid for) but its the fact that the only reason they are paying for it is because they thought my silk flowers were tacky... :( like im getting to the point where im just going to call the whole thing off and go to the freakin court house..
  • @trying4first In my opinion, silk flowers can look just as good as real flowers if you do them correctly, and in some cases, people cannot tell the difference. Real flowers are expensive, and sometimes if you are on a budget (as my fiance and I are), it seems more reasonable to spend that money somewhere else. As a bonus, bouquets of silk flowers last forever - real flowers, not so much.

While it was nice of them to offer to pay for the florist, they still should have done so in a respectful manner, without the implication that your choices were tacky. I know it will sound cliche, but it is your wedding, not theirs, so why should anyone else's choices matter but you and your fiance's? If you want giant ice zebras gracing the entrance, they might not like it, but if it is something you have thought about and justified (in the case of silk flowers, you would have considered cost, for instance), then they should take a step back.

Now that they are paying, however, they might expect to play a bigger part in the decision making process of the flowers - which is fine to an extent (as in they probably won't want you to go for the most expensive arrangements ever) - but if they try to bully you into something you do not want, stand firm. If you want orange roses and the roses are within budget, but they want lillies, try not to let them guilt you into anything else. It is unfair to force you to do something for your wedding that you do not want. How have they been so far, since it has been a few days?

I can relate to the wedding planning frustration wholeheartedly. There have been many days I have been tempted to throw my hands in the air, cancel all of the reservations and invitations, and sneak off to the court house. It would be sooo much easier than all of these headaches! Too many unsolicited opinions about what should be mine and my fiance's day.

If you ever need a person to vent to, I'm here and probably can relate all too well.
  • @fingerscrossed they still have not called the florist. they want this one lady to do it and i have never heard of her.. but today my step mother was like well maybe ill just go to Price Chopper the day of or before the wedding and buy a few bouquets and make the bouquets and boutiners myself.. that was my FIRST plan that i was told would simply NOT do.. i would rather them pay for the cake or take the 500 and put it towards the venue or something.. I have paid for EVERYTHING myself.. im paying for it all... so flowers that i have already paid for makes no sense..

Yeah i tried talking my fiance into canceling everything and just get plane tickets and get married on the beach in the outter banks yesterday... he wasnt into it :( he really likes the idea of being surrounded by friends and family.. at this point im ready to just get it over with..

get this.. we (step mother and sister and i) were out dress shopping for my step mom for both of our weddings.. i found this AMAZING wedding dress and since im not really all that crazy about the dress that i already have i tired it on and fell in love with it.. it fit my perfectly like it was made for me.. my step sister was like "oh it makes you look to hippy" because it was snug at my waist it was almost a mermaid dress but stopped at the hips instead of going all the way down to my thighs.. thats how it was supposed to look.. i turned around looked at her and said unlike you i have amazing hips with a HUGE smile on my face.. i felt so good when she gave me the i cant believe you just said that look... i mean i cant help it that i am a size 12/14 with great curves and she is a size 20 and the shape of an apple..

ahh venting it good
  • wow. forget all that. have ur baby now. if thars what u guys want n if ur ready for it then do it. u dont have to wait till she has kids. this isnt the taming of the shrew. just b happy. at least thats what I think.