question about parental rights

Can the father of my child voluntarily sign over his rights, even if its not what i want and i disagree with it, just to get out of paying child support?

Comments

• Did u know even if he signs over his rights he still has to pay c.s. Otherwise all deadbeats would do that to get out of payin
  • edited March 2011
    You would have to request a DNA test and if he is deemed the father, he is responsible for paying child support even if he signs over his rights. Contact your local Child Support Services and they will be able to tell you your rights.
  • Depends on what state you live in...im in tx and he would have to sign a denial of paternity but a dna would also be done...for more infor get on your states attorney generals web site...all the info you need is there.
  • It depends where you live. But most of the time he can only relinquish his rights to c/s if you agree. A judge won't relinquish his rights unless he is unfit or there is someone else to take responsibility
  • I live in nevada and have no idea what the rules r here I'm a first time Mom and for some reason trying to get legal info in my town, reno, is as hard as trying to get bd to be supportive. :/ they were charging me like $60 just to obtain the papers to file for child support and also custody and i had to leave without them for now and i know he won't help with ANYTHING financially in his mind he is positive he can get by doing nothing even tho we both know he is the father and his parents are the rich and powerful kind it worries me.
  • I dont think u can do anything anyway until baby is born. You cant in alabama anyway
  • Well i know i cant file yet but i can get the paper work and get it ready i also want to take it to a laywer and have it proof read or whatever i plan on having one throughout the whole thing bcuz my ex already screwed me over once in court
  • @babyboyontheway A judge will not allow a man to sign over their rights strictly for the purpose of getting out of child support. I know from experience. There are only a few reasons a judge would allow a father to relinquish his rights especially while the child is a baby. 1. If the father refuses to be a part of the child's life after he's given every possibility to be around. 2. If he's an unfit parent; drug addict, alcoholic, abusive etc. In almost every state there is a certain amount of time that has to pass that the father isn't around and then his rights are automatically terminated. In Michigan it's 2 years. Even if his parents are rich & powerful it doesn't matter. The law will make him provide for his child. If his rights are terminated it's your choice to pursue child support. If you get any state assistance for the child then they automatically go after him for c.s. it shouldn't cost anything to file support papers.
  • @StarKrayzie so if he refuses to see the baby or be involved at all when i ask him for help then he gets his parental rights revoked and he still has to pay?
  • @StarKrazie also does WIC count as a state assistance?
  • Yes, I just don't know how long of a period he has to be out of the picture for that to happen. If you get WIC then they will go after him. If & when his rights are terminated you have the choice to seek child support. As long as you get assistance though he'll be responsible to pay. At your next WIC appointment ask what is the best way to file papers once the baby's born.
  • In NM the courts don't let you sign over your rights unless someeone else is willing to to accept the responsibilty like a stepdad wanting to adopt.