epidural, pain meds, or nothing?

edited March 2011 in Giving birth
Im really nervous because i have a very high fever and back pains and i have been vomiting. I called my doctor and he said i should go get checked into the hospital. Im 8 months and if they decide to take the baby today i still dont know which method of pain relief is best and i havent chosen. Any thoughts?

Comments

• I have used the epidural for both my boys and plan on using it for my next one. I haven't had any problems with them. I don't think I would go with anything else. With my 1st they gave me a local before they did the epidural and the 2nd they just did the epidural. I liked the local, it helped with the pain. But that's my opinion. Good luck.
  • Thanx so much. I just heard about being paralyzed if i move and that freaked me out of ever wanting it but without it ill be feeling some serious pain.
  • If you get checked into a hospital and are not deemed high risk or an emergency case (depending on what is causing your high fever), you should be able to have a choice about delivery pain management. I say should tentatively because it depends on the doctors, hospital, and your current health.

Since I am currently TTC, I have never been in the position to decide upon which pain management method I had to chose, but I have had experience with an epidural in the past due to a car wreck. My experience was not pleasant, so I am personally looking at alternative options, such as (if it comes to my hospital) nitrous oxide or IV pain medicine. The second option is lower on the list because I am concerned about the effects on the infant. I am also considering a heating pad, walking, a birthing ball, and a warm shower/bath, if the circumstances allow it. :)

It is a personal choice, so no one person will be able to say which is best, and each will have its own pros or cons. There are several risks with an epidural, for instance, but a skilled doctor will be able to lessen the chance of these risks. Have you thought about any other method outside of an epidural or pain medicine?
  • I had an entrathical with my first and felt every contraction. The pain was insane but you can still walk. Trust me when they stick that needle in your back you don't want to move. I'm thinking epidural this time but I too am scared of it but everyone swears by it
  • @Proudmomma I had never heard of an intrathecal method of pain management until just now. You learn something new every day. :)
  • This is my first but I have heard that epidurals are great. I'm a sissy so I want every pain medication I can get lol.
  • The entithical is what they refer to the "walking epidural" lol that's a lie. I may get it again though. I progressed to fast for an epidural. I had IV drugs that didn't do anything. I refuse to do nitris cause it makes me so out of it and it makes me hilucinate. It kills lots of brain cells. To me that would do more damage to the baby. That's my opinion though.
  • I've also heard plenty of bad things about epidurals. Now I'm pretty scared to get one. I actually have a pretty high pain tolerance so I'm planning on going all natural, no pain meds. I'm nervous about it but I know I can do it. It's what my body was made for. :)