Living Wills?

edited March 2011 in Parenting
Tonight my fiance and I were discussing what would happen to our kids if something were to ever happen to us. I have 2 children by other men but neither father see the children and are not active in their lives. He has a daughter with full custody and the maternal grandmother has visitation. The mother herself has not made any effort to file visitation in the past 7 months she has been out of jail. We are pregnant with our first together! Planning on getting married next may.
I am pretty sure you need to create a living will to ensure the children go where you want them to go. But in the case of other parents or absent parents I didn't know if perhaps they would try to place the child with the other parent. It really scares the both of us to think that our children would be separated and shipped off to other parents especially when they really have made no effort to see or take care of the children in so long. I didn't know if maybe a living will would prevent that from happening or what? I didn't know if it was expensive to make one? Maybe someone on here has been through this or knows anything about these kinds of situations? Any advice is welcome.