Hospitality Please!

edited March 2011 in Just for Fun
Not pregnancy related but are any of u ladies in the hospitality field? I would love to hear about ur jobs and experiences. I currently go to school for it and im supposed to be writing a paper rite now but pregly jus keeps calling me lol i dnt feel so bad about discussing with women in the field tho

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i am well soon..lol i am finishing my school in may around same time my baby boy is due as a flight attendant:) how about you
  • My hubby worked on the hotels and airlines but I am in telecommunications finance..sorry
  • I do not personally work in the field myself, but one of my sorority sisters does. She graduated with a degree in the field and loves it. I will try to message her tonight and see what her experience has been like (for specific examples for you). I will let you know as soon as I hear back from her. :)
  • @fingerscrossed thx a lot for ur help:)
  • I've been in the hospitality industry for 4 years and I love it. I work for 2 Marriott properties as a sales coordinator in Miami. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)
  • Yes i found someone @lvm thx so much for helping. I have a couple questions lol
    1 how did u get into it? Did u go to school for it?
    2 do u find it very rewarding? As in pay and loving wat u do at the same time
    Have u always done sales coordinating? N coordinatinf wat sales?

Lol thank u:)
  • I was job hunting and was just really looking for anything so I decided to apply to this particular Marriott. Went for an interview and got the job on the spot. I was going to school for psychology but decided to change my major after I started with marriott, they actually helped with my tuition which is great. I started as a front desk clerk and got promoted to sales. I help set up special rates for groups n coorporations. I also set up big events like corporate meetings and socials. As far as pay is very good. You also get to network a lot and meet a lot of very interesting people. And the benefits are awesome! Special when you want to get away in a 5 star hotel in South Beach :-D
  • @lvm amazing! I was actually going to school for accounting then nursing n finally went for hospitality as a last resort. And its been the only thing that i stuck with! I love it! My teachers have done so many amazing things and i totally see myself doing that. I am very interested in being a front desk agent but i dnt want to have to work my way up say from like.... housekeeping. Im not saying housekeeping is beneath me but wat do they think im going to school for?

How many children do u have if u dnt mind? N how flexible is ur job? How hard or easy is it being pregnant and/or having kids
  • Lol when I became a fd clerk I had to train one day with a hskeeper just to know how the rooms are set up, n let me tell you it kicked my butt. I respect the people that do it but is definitley not my deparment of choice lol. If you want to get in the industry start in fd and it just takes off from there, u just have to enjoy what you do. And remember is not always going to be peaches but something you will learn is hpw tp deal with alllllll types of personalities. Lol after a while it just becomes natural. When I started as an agent o would work 7 to 3 or 3 to 11. Now that im in sales is 9 to 5 mon to fri. One thing when you start as an agent is you have to b veryyy flexible with hours and ofcoarse weekends. But trust me once u start moving up it pays off. Im only 8 weeks pregnant (first time mommy) but my team has been very supportive. I just tell thrm how I need things done and they do it which takes a lot of my back now that im pregnant. If I was an agent itll probably b a bit more challenging because of the hours n having to b on my feet but most hotels will accomodate ypu.
  • @lvm sounds perfect! I love workinf with people and meeting all diff types of ppl. I worked in restaurants before and have encountered many diff kinds of ppl good n bad lol but i loved it. Although i am experienced in food and beverage i want to get into the hotel industry and cannot wait. I find it so rewarding to help service someone. Trust i kno about having to be flexible but i am so ready for it. Thank u so much for sharing with me i truly appreciate it n wish u much luck in ur pregnancy
  • Aww than you same to you! O n by the way there's a f&b department in all full service hotels. Ypu should look into that, u can start off as a supervisor n it pays really good. And with ur experience you are already ahead of the rest. Good luck!
  • @lvm thx so much! :ar!
  • Stupid touch screen. Sorry, 86 the pirate face