Jaundice and Billirubin blanket

edited March 2011 in Parenting
My Dr called last night and ordered that my 4 day old be placed under a billirubin blanket because of her jaundice. My son had jaundice when he was first born but never had to be under this blanket, which I was instructed to keep on her 24/7 and can only hold her when she needs fed or changed, which breaks my heart cuz I want to hold her so bad and I hate seeing her lay there all alone :'(

Has anyone else's babies had to be under this blanket? For how long and does it really help?

Comments

• My daughter was under a billi blanket for the first 3 days she was born. We called her a little glow worm. The best thing you can do is along with the billi light get the baby some sun, direct sun. The vitamin D from the sun helps the liver and gets rid of the jaundice. The billi light is full of lights which create vitamin D in the skin. You can still hold her with the billi light on. Its just aquard . Just remember its temporary and you have the babies whole life to cuddle :)
  • My daughter, now 4, spent one night in the nicu at 4 days old. The hospital sent us home because her numbers went down. This was a Friday night to Saturday. We went back on Monday to the drs office and had to get a billi blanket. I think we had it for a week. It helped her a lot but you also have to make sure the baby is eating and pooping plenty, the billirubin leaves the body thru poop. We also put her next to the Windows to get sunlight. We use gowns on our daughter to keep her some what warm at night, you could pull them over the blanket a little. It seems stressful but they do help.
  • @Blueanjel and @jbandno3 thanks I moved her bassinet over to the sliding glass door and opened the shade, hope it helps. I just hate seeing her get her foot stuck every other day....makes me :'( lol you would think this being #4 I would be a pro at my kids getting owies from drs but it still hurts to see them cry..
  • OMG I could not be in the room while they stuck her. I had to have my husband do it, i was in such tears i almost went into a panic atack. Poor thing.
  • We had to have our daughter under the billie blanket for 2-3 days when we brought her home from the hospital. It was not fun but we got through it. It didn't seem to bother her at all. She slept,ate and pooped most of the time anyway. The longer you keep her under the blanket, the quicker you can get rid of it. We only took her out for diaper changes. Good luck.
  • @Blueanjel I know I started tearing up as soon as she did....

@Dot thanks hopefully she won't be under it long....I need my little Willie to get better.
  • My daughter had a billi blanket its fine
  • My daughter had it when she was a newborn. (Now 6 yrs old) and it did wonders for her! She had a severe case so she was on it for an entire week. But it works fast. And that time should pass quickly.