Need advice; how to tell boss about pregnancy :/

edited March 2011 in UK
I'm 11 weeks 2 days and have known I was pregnant for the last 6 weeks. I haven't told my employer yet as I wanted to wait until I've passed 12 weeks to be safe, its crept up on me and I can now tell her in as little as 5 days..

I was also waiting to get my appraisal out of the way so I'm covered by the fact that she says I've been doing great work. This means if she decides to cut my hours because I'm pregnant she can't blame it on my general ability being rubbish, as 10 of the 12 weeks she reviewed me for I've been pregnant. Therefore breaking the law and making it obvious she's discriminating against me.

The thing is I now don't know what to say or how to tell her as I've spent the last 6 weeks trying to hide the fact I'm pregnant from her.. Help plz ladies as u are all full of much more wisdom than me.. :)

Comments

• Legally you don't have to tell her for ages. However if you do want to tell her now. I would ask to gave a private word with her and just give her the important details e.g how far you are and when you're due. If she does try to cut your hours or does anything she shouldn't make a note or it straight away. read up on your rights and see what you need to do. You should've been given a leaflet on this. Maybe discuss your situation with your midwife - she's probably heard it all before.
  • I was scared to tell my boss because I just started a new position at work at 4weeks, just after I found out I was pregnant. I didn't want him to be able to make an excuse about my performance so he could fire me so I've been working my butt off the past few weeks to show I'm capable of being pregnant and working. I just told him last week at 12 weeks. He was actually supportive and said I've been doing a good job and just to keep it up. So I'd wait till after your review if it's soon then tell. Just so you can prove you can do it :)
  • @mama_uk I need to tell my boss as I want to tell my grandparents and extended family and seeing as they all use facebook I don't want her finding out off there or anyone else at work that sees it.

@famof4 Thats what I've done too. Found out 8 weeks ago about baby, already had my appraisal booked in for last week. It went really well, very positive outcome with my boss saying that since jan my works been great and she wants me to take on an extra project.. I'm just a lil apprehensive about dropping a baby into the mix too..
  • Aww I was acared to tell my boss to I was about 6 months when she found out and in the end weren't even me that told her someone else that worked there heard me and a m8 talking and told her, and when she called me in to the office I was panicing but she was happy for me and suportive and said she wouldent of made me do half the jobs I had to do (push beer and stock over the rail bridge etc) I think its better to tell your boss before they find out another way but now uve had your appraisal and all was gd there's proof your doing your job so just tell them when u feel its right :) gl hun xx