Gestational diabetes

edited January 2011 in Health
Just found outvi have GD and was wondering if there r any other preggos with it that can lend me some advice? Its very hard to maintain a low glycemic index diet when ur pregnant so if u know of any good foods I would appreciate the input...also if there are any specific exercises to do. Diabetes runs in my fam and I just dont wanna increase my chance of having it later on, and I want my baby girl to b healthy.

Comments

• My sister had GD and she is having her son Monday. She basically had appointments with a nutritionist and had a special diet and had to check her insulin level throughout the day. She and her son are both looking healthy. :)
  • Well I had it with my first 2 pregnancies......I had them a month early and still they were 6lbs 8oz and 6 lbs 130z......It is really important to drink alot of water and stay away from sugar loaded foods......Follow a strict deit and watch the carb intake......you most likely will be told to eat several small meals aday instead of 3 big ones......i am now 7 weeks and 2 days preggo and have already failed my first glucose test with this one....It is said that if you have it with one you will have it with all.....also increases the chances of you being insulin dependant one day is what i was told.....Please dont take it lightly and do what they tell you to do.....for the health of you and the baby.....my son was born and i did what they told me to do he had trouble keeping his sugars up after birth so he got poked in the foot every 30 minutes for a long time....they hooked an IV up to him with sugar water......dont be afraid but please do your best to follow a good diet.......I have started this pregnancy with a good diet and still have high readings so I may end up on insulin this time..... Good luck and take it easy....Hope things go well for you.
  • lots of veggies and asparugus I know not my favorite either but i was told it is great for pregnant people with gd.......there isnt really any good foods out there for a woman that wants other food.....LOL I can relate.....if you change bread to a whole wheat light bread it is better for you again not my favorite......but keep like carrot sticks and veggies around so when you want to munch you can munch on them.....sounds good right? LOL Sorry When you are told you have to eat a certain way it makes you want everything else so much more....Sugar free gum is good to keep on hand and sugar free hard candies just so you get some sweet taste to lower the cravings.....Its tough and when the Baby is here it will be worth it.....I ordered cookies and a big 2 liter of pop after my boys were born......Cause i could after they were born.....if you find anything that taste really good and is sugar free please do let me know......LOL and I will let you know......lol
  • Thank you so much ladies! Im def a veggie lover so I will just incorporate more into my diet. I was never a big sugar eater before I got pregnant. All ur advice is very helpful so thank u thank u!
  • I have gb and family history of diabetic.. but cut ur cards down.. but usually try to follow a diabetic meal plan