Sleeping on my stomach at 23 weeks

edited March 2011 in Sleep
I'm 23 weeks and my Dr. tells me sleep on my left side but I'll wake up and I'm on my stomach. It's not uncomfortable because I haven't gained alot of weight and my stomach is still small but am I hurting the baby?

Comments

• If you look around online, you'll find where ob's have said that you'll get uncomfortable long before it'll hurt baby. Baby is still cushioned by loooots on amniotic fluid, so plenty of cushion. =) if you're worried, just pull your leg out to the side and up under you some. It'll take some pressure off your belly. I'm still an avid tummy sleeper at 19w1d. =)
  • No!! I talked to my doctors & a nurse. Even friends with different docs. They all say you'll know when to not lay on your tummy cuz it'll be uncomf(rtable!! Plus I layed on my belly till 22 weeks & now I can tell the difference it hurts :) p.s im 24 weeks
  • I'm jelous I tried sleeping on my stomach last nite and couldn't I'm starting to be real uncomfortable at nite I'm only on my 7th week krazy
  • edited March 2011
    @ mommy_of_adriana, Wow!
  • I still lay on my stomach and I'm 28 weeks. sometimes its the only position that DOESNT hurt. my back hurts to lay directly on so I'm either tilted a little or switching from left to right to left to right.... my hips hurt so bad if I'm on them for more than 20 min. But i can't actually sleep on my stomach just lay on it for however long it takes before i gotta move lol
  • I'm 29 weeks still lay on my tummy. But as soon as I get uncomfortable, I move. It doesn't hurt the babe.
  • My mom had an old retro pregnancy handbook and it said not to lay on your stomach after the first trimester. You will definately know when not to by how it feels. Also after a while you wont be able to lay on your back without your head being elevated. I just uncomfortably flop from side to side all night long, due to hips hurting.
  • True ladies!! I flop too :) I can lay on my left side longer than the right though.
  • im only 5 wks and i am constantly rolling around it drives my fiancée crazy i keep putting my knees in his back
  • Sleep is starting to drive me bonkers. I can still sorta sleep on my tummy, but I always feel bad in the morning. :( Not physically, but mentally. I feel like I'm skishing baby. 19w6d.
  • LOL the night before my son was born I was at my moms she said she looked in on me and I was on my stomach with my leg bent under me like a kickstand because of my HUUUUGGE belly LOL so I think your OK! Your body will protect that baby above your comfort every time!
  • Your left side provides optimum blood flow to baby, but its not necessary to always lay that way. I'm in my 28th wk and still a stomach sleeper, although I find I toss & turn more, so wind up on my side or back with a pillow propped under one side. I usually have to lay on my stomach to fall asleep though. If I can do it without looking like a see-saw, I plan on tummy sleeping all 40wks!
  • That helps my nerves some, @sgthalesbabies and @graciensmommy !! Thanks. =) I've been nervous cuz when I had my appointment on March 25th, it was hard to find baby's heartbeat. Dr said it's cuz s/he was carrying towards the back since we had to press down to finally find the heartbeat. I only barely heard it, it was so faint. That, coupled with the fact that I've barely felt any movement at all since March 24th has made me sooooo nervous since I've been sleeping on my tummy more often lately. I've got an ultrasound tomorrow (March 30th, also my first one ever! and the 20 week marker!) so hopefully I'll find an active, healthy, and small (to explain lack of feeling of movement) baby in there! And hopefully it'll be a girl. ;)
  • @mythica Is this your first? This is mine and they told me that they don't even begin counting movement till 28wks cause baby is still pretty small and can hide in places you can't feel. Or it could be the placement of your placenta cushioning movements making them less noticeable. I didn't start feeling movement till 20-22wks and not everyday till 25-26wks. Good luck on your ultrasound tomorrow and I hope you get the little girl you want!
  • @sgthalesbabies Yeah, it's my first one. I hadn't really felt much movement, but s/he'd kick little thumps at hands or music being placed on my tummy. Now s/he won't do that. :( And it had only been in the last two weeks or so that I'd felt anything at all. And I felt baby roll over right near the top the day before the dr appointment! but that was the last real sure movement I've felt. :( Oh, but yesterday morning was funky. I woke up on my side and tried to roll over. I swear, it felt like baby had displaced my womb up and out of my body so that it was hanging between my ribs and my hip. lol. I know that's not logical, but that's what it felt like! hahaha. Still didn't feel baby move, tho. =/ Just the thump feeling of my body going back to what it was supposed to be.
  • Im 28 weeks tomorrow n I lay on my belly 2sleep :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.