civilian drs vs. military drs

edited March 2011 in Military moms
I had my intake appointment and tomorrow I have my first obgyn appointment on post and ill be 8 weeks. I didn't even know they gave appointments at 8 weeks I thought they started at 12 to 14 weeks. I was just wondering what to expect at the 8 weeks appointment? And if the military does anything different than doctors offices off post?

Comments

• No its basically the same thing, my first ob appt was with civilian docs at 9 weeks and I got an ultrasound so u will probably get a gyno exam and swabbed and a vaginal ultrasound.... which is this long stick thing they put up ur vagina and look at the baby that way. And u will get ya first pic of ur baby and congrats!
  • Thankyou! That's kind of what I was assuming would happen. I just wanted to be prepared for a pap smear. Lol. Ummm this may be a dumb question but what is getting swabbed?!
  • Its just a long q-tip that they use to swab your insides during the pap...like swabbing someones mouth for dna . They check the sample for everything
  • That sounds horrible. Lol its probably not that bad I'm just nervous for a pap smear. I probably have to get used to it though. Sence a baby will be coming out of there soon. Lol.
  • My first appt was at 8wks and all they did was have me do paperwork and and ask question then scheduled my real appt for 11wks they were supposed to bloodwork but for. Some reason they didn't at my next appt I got my u/s and bloodwork and the pap only did a partial for me tho cuase I had one done in oct and my doc was militaty so don't get your hopes up I guess I was so upset when I found out I had to wait longer to see my peanut. Good luck and congrats
  • See. That's what I hate. You just never know with the military. I've already had bloodwork done. And asked a thousand questions at my intake appointment. So I think they should just be on track with the whole pap smear and stuff. I've learned to never get my hopes up though with the militray. But thankyou.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Are you a high risk pregnancy @MarinesAngel? One of my friends was high risk and she got a lot of appointments and ultrasounds really early.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My husby is air force and I refuse to go to a military doctor I don't care what anybody says I have always had bad experiences with them and they r not sensitive and I have heard way too many horror stories as far as deliverys go with them
  • @jstnshrt well good thing I won't be delivering with the military. My husband is getting stationed to korea and I'm dropping to standard tricare and going back to oregon!
    That is weird though because we are in washington where its an army and airforce base combined and the army doctors were all full so I get to go to the airforce clinics and they are so much more nicer and calm about things than on the army base. Lol.
  • @AliH I had an army ob that was horrible so I got referred off post only to find out they wouldn't see me until I was atleast 12 weeks we were in the middle of a move so I ended up waiting until I was 18 weeks and now I have AF drs which is what I had with my previous pregnancy and I love them
  • I was prior mil n my hubbys still n. We were stationed n Korea Wen I got preg wit my first. I believe u found out Wen I was 6wks along but couldn't b seen till 12. The mil has a lot of rules they make u wait to make sure baby will make it up to 12wks.@ 12 I got ultrasound. Now wit 2nd pregnancy n as a dependant I'm 13wks got seen @ 6 for paperwork @ 12 for physical exam, breast pap. Now tomorro I go n for first official u/s. Mil is kinda messy. A lot of waiting :/