By when did you have a name picked?

edited January 2011 in Baby names
Just curious

I had one picked since I was in HS and my baby daddy hates it, he won't even consider it.
I'm only 6 weeks and I feel like we have plenty of time to pick! We haven't even seen the dr. or bought a name book yet. He has it as one of his top priorities, over a lot of [what I think are more important] things like him finding another job, me finding a job, and getting a place together.

So when did you pick a name? And what was it?

Comments

• I was told my first daughter was going to be a boy. So the end of the pregnancy I only thought of boy names. She ended up not having a name until she was 2 days old because I just couldnt come up with the perfect name. I named her Alexis Elizabeth. My husband and I picked out our second daughters name the day we found out we were pregnant...and we stuck with it. Her name is Kaelynn Marie. =) We are having a hard time coming up with names this time around...
  • We didn't agree on a name until...literally last week..and I'm in my 5th month. I don't believe its a priority over those other things u mentioned though, you're right.
  • I picked Achilles for a boy when I read Roman poetry in college. (Achilles was a hero in the Iliad). Nobody else likes it tho. I picked Valkyrie for a girl cuz I thought it would be a neat name (Valkyries are angels that bring the souls of dead warriors to heaven in Norse mythology). If she didn't like having a weird name, she could always go by Valerie or Val. My aunt has a friend who was orphaned and chose Valkyrie for her last name. I always thought that was cool.
  • I didn't have a first name picked for my son until I was in labor with him, nothing seemed to fit with the middle name I knew he was ment to have. This time my husband and I had the first name picked out within two months of me finding out I was pregnant, I kept flip flopping with the name but he kept telling me that this was the name. It wasn't until I was smack in the middle of my 8th month that we decided on a middle name for her and he was right the first name that we picked is perfect for her.
  • I'm 7 weeks and have both my names picked out.
  • edited November 2014
  • Thanks for the input guys :) I just don't like the names he picked but we haven't got a book yet to go through...I haven't brought up any names yet because I need the visual inspiration to pick a new name out...
    Because I haven't picked out any names yet, he did and said I'll "just have to get used to writing them out"
    :(
  • @ Victoria B

I love the names you picked!Especially for your daughter, the name Valkyrie is open to alot of more common nick names like you mentioned but also the name Kyrie, Ree and many more!

My son is Victor Belial (Translates *loosly* from Latin for Deamon Slayer, Victor being self explanitory, Belial was a Enochian and later Latin/Hebrew word for a type of trickster spirit - modern Christianity would consider a lesser Demon)

My daughter is going to be Lilium Meabh (Lilium being Latin for flower - I wanted to tie the names together without being trendy so I wanted her to have a Latin name as well, and Meabh (pronounced May-ve) is an Irish warrior queen well a shortened form of her name Meadhbh.)
  • @ Ashes

There are alot of sites online that have names you can pick, or if you both have a favorite story/show/movie maybe you can draw insparation from them. But keep in mind that if you pick a name from a popular show/book it may stick with the child, and there maybe alot of kids with his/her name.

Also family names, I have a friend who is due in July and she and her man have already picked a name - they took both of their mother's middle names.

You don't need a book to pick out the perfect name for your baby.
  • We figured out the name by 5 months
  • @conreeaght I had the name picked out... Jade Aeva. Not only did my ex-best friend use it for her kid exact spelling but my bf hates it anyway.
    Picking a new name is hard for me, I can't click through online, my brain doesn't process it as well as reading/seeing it from a book.
    His cousin died while 8months pregnant from swine flu a couple years back...his step-dad suggested Leah after her but he just threw that out. I thought that was inconsiderate since he always talked about how close they were growing up, and I actually really like that name.

I thought about Grace Leah... or Leah Grace... my grandmother and his cousin. But I know he will throw it out because he wants something "unique" and "different" ...
  • @ Ashes

I understand your frustration then. But at six weeks you do have alot of time, to find a name book you like and pick a name you BOTH like. Explaine to him that you want the name to have meaning to both of you because this child is a part of him and a part of you.

I can see how he might not want to name the baby after someone who died a few years ago, especially if they were pregnant. It might hurt to be reminded of them all the time and when asked by the child how she got her name he might not want to talk about it, so don't just write it off as being inconsiderate, he might have a valid reason. No matter how close they were. I also understand his desire for a unique and diffrent name, just be careful that you are not going to be setting your daughter up to be teased.

Is there anyway he will compromise with you? One of you picks the first name and the other picks the middle name? Either way you have time to decide you can always drop the topic until you find a name you like and then you can casually bring it up again.

"I brought you a glass of water dear, by the way I'm naming the baby Emmaline Rayne, would you like a straw?" :)
  • I'm only 7 weeks and have had both names picked out for a while. Kaysen Dallas for a boy and kori Mackenzie for a girl