Episiotomy...Please Help

edited March 2011 in Giving birth
While delivering my first daughter I had an episiotomy...4th degree (hole to hole), she was only 7lbs 2oz. I am so worried to have this second baby because I don't want another episiotomy. Just urinating afterwards hurts. I have a new ob/gyn this time around and I'm thinking about talking with her about it, I'm even considering a c-section. What should I do?

Comments

• Talk to your doc and she will explain your options. Good luck!
  • I would def talk to ur doc because with a baby that small, it sounds kind of strange that they gave u a 4th degree. Also, maybe u could try perineal massage or squats to help you stretch a little better. Def talk to ur doc though.
  • @sm0ochez14 you know.....OMG it hurt so bad on top of that I didn't have a bowel for a week no laxatives... if you could only imagine it made it like 10 times worse than constipation. Thank you for the support and advice
  • They didnt give you the numbing spray? My sister told me about it so I made sure to ask for it. I had a 3rd degree. I don't remember it being that big of a deal but maybe that's bc I had the numbing spray. Maybe look into that before considering a c section.
  • @redhead25 they did but it really didn't help it seemed that it hurt worse if it was wet rather than dry. thanks for your advice maybe my doctor before just didn't know what he was doing. lol
  • That's something I wasn't aware of before. I was always under the impression if you tear for your first, any future babies wldn't need an epi.?! Hopefully you wouldn't need one again. They sting like a beotch!
  • @jaime77 i know tell me about it lol... that is exactly why i'd like to prevent it at all costs if i can...Thanks
  • About a week or so before start using oil and massaging the area and slowly add preassure to strech it some that's what I was told with my son my daughter I didn't do it and she came so fast the didn't have time to cut me I tore 2 and a half inches I'm doing it again with this one
  • @camommy i bet that hurt as well good luck with your next!
  • My first baby was 7lbs 8oz, had and episiotomy. My second was 9lbs 5oz, no episiotomy, just a little bit of internal tearing, recovery was so much better the second time. Hoping #3 goes like #2 did.
  • Wow, my son was 9 lbs 6 oz and my mid wife didn't do an episiotomy. She also thought he was only about 7 lbs 6 oz. Lol! and I barely had any tearing, thank god. Good luck! :)
  • @cmasat4 i had the same thing. 4th degree, 7lb 3oz baby, episiotomy and tearing, no pain meds. It didn't bother me at the time but now it does. It hurts during my period, sometimes when i pee, after sex..... I'm going to ask my doctor if theres anything she can do to help. Maybe remove some of the scar tissue. I heard that can help.
  • Think having a csection is going to be just as uncomfortable as getting an episiotomy. Try and stretch your peraneum.