Muscle weakness and achy joints

edited April 2011 in Health
I'm 18 weeks and have weak arm/leg muscles, achy joints, and tiredness(sleep 11+ hours a day and still tired. Does anyone know if this could be symptoms of something not pregnancy related? I keep waiting on 2nd trimester energy to come, but nothing. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies and also get in at least 15 mins of walking everyday. I just wanna feel normal again, or at least halfway normal.

Comments

• Have you gained any weight? I'm 19 weeks and haven't. But yet my belly has gotten bigger. I also feel drained all the time. Doctor says baby is taking all my nutrients and if it keeps up I may have to take a vitamin supplement.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • im 19 weeks and I get the same thing. I crack my joints cuz they hurt so bad. Even when I sleep my body hurts. I just have lots of protene and water.
  • @Mommy2be2011 I've gained 10 pounds. Do you already take your prenatal vitamins?
    @mshahir I have low blood pressure so I can't have caffiene. I eat lots of fruits and veggies and exercise, both are supposed to help with tiredness.
  • Sounds pregnancy related, but maybe thyroid related? I have hypothroidism, particularly, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It's a very common autoimmune form of hypothyroidism. When you are pregnant, the demands of the pregnancy can cause your thyroid to not function quite as well if you have an underlying problem. My first sign that my thyroid isn't cooperating, is joint pain/ achiness, fatigue, bloating and weight gain...all pregnancy symptoms too. Do you have any family history of thyroid problems? Still sounds like typical pregnancy stuff though, but if you have a family history it'd be worth talking to your doc about.
  • And protein, water, and exercise will help. It could just be from water retention.
  • @Soon2BMomOf2under2 my half sister has hypothyroidism. Should I just ask my dr to check my thyroid? I don't have any swelling that happens when you retain water, is there other symptoms I should look for?
  • edited April 2011
    @Maranda3 Iwould definitely mention it. It just takes a simple blood test and external exam of your throat. Dig into your family medical history some more and see if anyone else has it and let your OB know.

This is from the Mayo Clinics' website and is not related to pregnancy, but gives an explanation of it and symptoms.

The signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism vary widely, depending on the severity of the hormone deficiency. But in general, any problems you do have tend to develop slowly, often over a number of years.

At first, you may barely notice the symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue and sluggishness, or you may simply attribute them to getting older. But as your metabolism continues to slow, you may develop more obvious signs and symptoms. Hypothyroidism signs and symptom may include:

Fatigue
    Sluggishness
    Increased sensitivity to cold
    Constipation
    Pale, dry skin
    A puffy face
    Hoarse voice
    An elevated blood cholesterol level
    Unexplained weight gain
    Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
    Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
    Muscle weakness
    Heavier than normal menstrual periods
    Brittle fingernails and hair
    Depression

When hypothyroidism isn't treated, signs and symptoms can gradually become more severe. Constant stimulation of your thyroid to release more hormones may lead to an enlarged thyroid (goiter). In addition, you may become more forgetful, your thought processes may slow, or you may feel depressed.

Advanced hypothyroidism, known as myxedema, is rare, but when it occurs it can be life-threatening. Signs and symptoms include low blood pressure, decreased breathing, decreased body temperature, unresponsiveness and even coma. In extreme cases, myxedema can be fatal.

Let me know how you make out!
  • @Soon2bmomof2under2 holyy cow!!! Now I'm freaking out!! I've had low blood pressure for the last couple weeks as well as several of the other symptoms. My next appointment is in 4 weeks, is it safe to wait until then to have it tested?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2011
    @Maranda3 Anemia is another likely culprit! I would just call and say that you've found out you have family members with it and you are experiencing similar symptoms and let them know you want to be tested. That way you can at least have the blood work done before your appt. These symptoms also mimic normal pregnancy symptoms, so it could just me normal stuff, but still worth calling about b/c hypothytoidisim and anemia can be easily treated.
  • @Maranda3 Yes I take my prenatals.