Scarred nipples, can I still breastfeed? Help!

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
I'm really worried, I'm expecting my first baby, and I'm really keen on breast feeding, but in my way ward youth i had pierced nipples. I'm worried the scar tissue may block the milk, or cause it to be trapped in my breasts, can anyone offer advice?

Comments

• I am not sure I will look it up and get back to you?
  • As long as your body didn't reject the piercing your nipple will still produce milk. Thats what I found. Google it for more in depth answers or ask your doctor at your next visit.
  • But I think you should be fine. Good luck. :D
  • Thankyou. I am worried because there is still prominent starring, ill ask my doc next visit.
  • I had both my nipples pierced two different times. I worried about the same thing, but I had my son and never had any problems with breast feeding. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Yikes. I'm having my third child and I'm 30. When I was 20 I got my nipples pierced. Because of the scar tissue I was unable to breastfeed and it broke my heart. I tried with my second baby and still was unable. I'm going to try agian even though I'm pretty sure it won't happen. The reason why I'm doing it with this baby is because I still want to experience the bonding and the connection that only us mommies can have with our babies. You may be able to breastfeed or not but if you nipples are scared you will have some milk come out but not enough to feed your baby. I think you should still breastfeed but supplement with formula. Any amount of breast milk is better then done. I wish you luck and I hope you don't have the same problem I did
  • I had my nipples pierced for about 5yeats 2years ago I took my piercings out, I still have stuff that comes out of the holes. I also am afraid I won't be able to brestfeed because of that..I guess we will see what happens.
  • I had my nipples pierced twice and have had them out for about 4 yrs. I also have scarring in both of them. I asked my doc about being able to breastfeed eith the scar tissue bcuz i am already 39 weeks and im really serious about breastfeeding. She said that it doesnt mean that i wont be able to, it just meabs that the milk may shoot out in all directions, but tjat still wont matter bcuz when they latch on properly their mouth should covrr the whole areola.i just make sure that i drink the mothers milk tea everyday bcuz it helps with healthy lactation. Actually yesterday i gave my nips a squeeze and i had a few drops of colostrum come out, so i know i am producing milk.
  • Good for u! Breastfeeding is amazing! I had my nillles pierced. Over three times and I was able to breast feed.
  • Ooops lol. Nipples.
  • Angieface.... how far along are u???? I have the same problem.... and I'm also really worried that the stuff coming out can b bad for the baby