Is this normal? (Doctor related)

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
So I recently changed Obgyn due to hating the hospital that my old obgyn delivers out of. Sooo anyway I went to my first appt with my new doctor last week but was just seen by the nurse. She told me I would be seeing a "Dr. Williams" on my next appt and I asked if they were male or female since I prefer a female and she said male but explained to me that at that office they encourage for the pregnant patients to have atleast one visit with each doctor they have there because at the time of delivery they can't guarantee which doctor will be there and atleast that way I get to meet all the doctors. I was so surprised because when I called to make my first appt this was not explained to me and I specifically asked for a female doctor. Is this normal? From my name you can see this is my first baby so not sure how everything works. I just rather have one doctor.

Comments

• It was like that at my old doctors office, but st my news one I see the same doc every time. I think I would like it the other way, so that you get to meet everyone that might be with you during delivery
  • Unfortunately, my doctors are the same way. They can't guarantee who will even be available, or on call!
  • my doctors office is the same way i see all the doctors so i get used to them cause you never know who is going to be on call but you cant expect one doctor to deliver hundreads of babies since there are hundreads of paitents
  • @buebug3 & @Sammiegee87 Thanks, good to know its normal! :)
  • No that's pretty normal in a practice. Which was really nice for my last pregnancy cause my preferred ob went on maturity leave in my third trimester lol
  • phew I feel better now!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @KerrideeRN thats how it was with my other obgyn, because she was the ONLY doctor in her office. I really loved her but HATED the hospital she was affiliated with so had to leave. :(
  • It would be terribly hard for a dr to be on call 24/7 I have a practice with about 6 drs 4 of which are woman. I love all the drs and it doesn't matter to me who delivers my child but I would prefer my male ob since he delivered my older children and has a great bed side manner. The woman are nice but I think sometimes because they are woman they try and tell you what's going on with your own body eventhough no one knows u better than u. But that's just my personal experience.
  • The only way you could kind of guarantee having a female OB is if the practice you go to only has female docs. When I had my son, the only male doc from the practice I went to was on when I went into labor. That was the first time I'd ever had a male doc, but I found him to be a lot more gentle and finessed :) It's fear of the unknown more than anything so getting familiar with all of your docs really is the best way to go.