Am I wrong for being upset?

edited April 2011 in Parenting
My 4 year old twin boys go to preschool. They just (last week) got a new assistant teacher who seems really nice and loads better than the last assistant. However, I've heard her several times call my boys "Twins" instead of by their name. Like when I get there she'll say "Twins, your momma is here!" They don't respond because they're not used to that, I've been determined their while life for them to know that they are individuals and not just part of a set. It upsets and annoys me that she does this. I told my husband that I thought I was going to say something to the head teacher (who is also my friend) to just drop a hint at her. He says I should tell her myself if I want her to know, but I don't wanna make her feel bad or seem bitchy. What would you do? And am I wrong to be upset?

Comments

• I would be upset too. Everyone is an individual, including twins. They deserve their names....:)
    you might just mention to her that they don't respond because they are used to being called here names and not just twins.
  • No he is right...you should tell her. Basically say what you just typed and there is no way she can take offense to that. And Yah you have every right to not like that....I would be pissed if somebody called my child "girl/boy".

It would make me feel as if my child isn't important enough to learn their name.
  • I would speak with her. That's not fair to them.
  • You should tell her. Just explain your reasoning. I'm sure she'll understand. There's no way she would know you feel that way if you don't tell her. There are probably some parents that refer to their kids as twins to them.
  • Just tell her she probably doesn't relieze it upsets u. I had a teacher calling my son Tony and I politely asked her to stop and she did :) his name is Antony don't stress it just tell her in sure it wont be a big deal. She will probably even be sorry....
  • Thanks Ladies! I just don't want to hurt her feelings or make her think I look down on her for it. I'm not very good with words when I'm face to face with people.
  • I'm a twin myself and growing up it annoyed me to be referred to as "one of the twins". Even though we share the same dna we are individuals. Some people are clueless and need to be told.