old cradle or basinette???

edited April 2011 in Second Trimester
My dad is trying to give me an old cradle from about 30 years ago that he has stored in his garage. I'm worried it isn't safe and about it hurting the baby. Its oak and still looks nice. He wants to re-varnish and clean it up for me. I just don't know if it would be safe and I don't want to risk anything. I already have a crib. I also don't want to hurt my dads feelings.

Comments

• I would love to have something like that with history. As long as its not gonna fall apart it should be fine. Your probably gonna have a pad and blankets in it anyway if you use it. Another cute idea would be using it to hold stuffed animals in the nursery.
  • The main thing to check is the bars on the side, if you can fit a coke can between the bars, you can't use it. You could always just take it from your dad and take the baby's pic in it and not use it. They can only use a bassinette until 15lbs anyway.
  • Things made back in the day were way sturdier I say use it u can always get creative like @brookiesbaby said and use it for something else or ill take it lol
  • I think its ok I'm taking hand me downs too but he will have a brand new nursery...take it just for just in case try it out and u might love it for those in between moments
  • Thanks for your ideas. I do think it is nice looking and I definitely want to use it. It has no bars, its solid oak. So I guess I don't have to worry about that. It just needs a little care.
  • I am using a crib and one of those pack n plays that has the bassinet attached to it.