tricare prime or standard

edited April 2011 in Military moms
I just switched to prime but I have people saying I should of stayed on standard. I need opinions. I know if I am on prime I can see a doctor in my town as long as they except me and they can refer me to a doctor for my pregnancy. But some people say they can't.

Comments

• Prime u can get referred. Its the only way that tricare will cover the expenses. I have prime and prefer it over standard but im seen at an af hospital and they are great.
  • I have prime and I love it... although the referral process from your pcm to the ob can be a hassle but gets done none the less. With prime you don't have the out of pocket expenses for some services and I believe with standard you do...on the tri care website it goes into great detail about the differences.
  • Basically prime is you have a clinic that you go to for everything all in one house. If need to be seen for something they don't have in the clinic then they will send you to the hospital. Standard you see outside only.
  • I have prime remote and its not like that for me at all... @ bradford my situation is exactly that..I have a pcm who referred me to my ob for 11 months and everything is paid for,because they are in the network. Its best to call or check out the website if your unclear about something :)
  • I work for humana...honestly its up to you. With prime you will have 100% coverage just as if you were being seen at a mtf (military treatment facility). If you have standard you have a deductible and possibly copays...etc. With pregnancy, on Prime, your gyn will become your pcp and if you need a referral they will have to provide one. Standard you wont . However....no matter what insurance coverage you choose, if you are not near a mtf and not near a prime covered ob/gyn, then tricare will allow you to go to a standard dr with prime coverage...and you will not have deductibles or copays.
  • Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to stay with prime.