I ate "lunch meat" :-(

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
So...today I had an overwhelming urge to eat a honeybaked ham sandwich. I really didnt think of it as lunch meat with a risk of listeria....but apparently its just as bad (after googling). But...its from a "trusted source" lol...
Now...at first my doctor didn't advise me not to eat lunch meat until I brought it up...should I not have eaten it? But it was ooooh so good.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I so forgot about the meat thing.. i love subway too..
  • What are you guys talking about!? I eat subway all the time. What's the risk with lunch meats?
  • I've eaten lunch meat w all three of my pregnancys and nothing happened. I think its pretty rare
  • Yeah @isaiahnjocelynsmommy I just wld have them heat it up. Its stressful to think about Listeria. My doc didn't make a big deal about it...I guess 3% of ladies get infected where it effects their babies, but still....
  • @isaiahnjocelynsmommy I only eat lunch meat from subway and usually get it heated. I didn't know what listeria was. How does it affect the baby?
  • This may seem like a dumb question, but what about subway's teriyaki chicken? It is not really deli meat, or so it seems to be chicken strips...
  • I eat it all the time heated or not im.not advising u to do it but let me say this I have been eating it for as long as I.can remember and I have never not once gotten sick. I have other children and never stopped eating it and they are alive and healthy no issues what so ever. I never heard of this until I got pregnant with this baby but being my past experience I dont think im going to stop. Also working in healthcare I have never taken care of someone who had it or has had it nor have I ever heard of anyone having it......but thats just my opinion
  • My dr said it was ok, as long as it's only once in awhile.
  • Mmm subway: )
  • Listeria is a big foodborne illness because in extreme cases it can harm the baby sometimes causing death. The chances of actually getting it are pretty rare but drs have to advise you to take precautions to prevent it. I've been educated in all foodborne illnesses and I still eat lunch meat....just saying.
  • So wait...why would this only apply if you're pregnant? If it is bad then why doesn't this just apply to everyone? Its a bad risk to baby but if there is no baby then its okay eat it? I don't know about everyone else but warm lunch meat is gross...lol
  • @AKmommy the bacteria in listeria can harm the baby. If you were not pregnant and you contracted listeria, it would be like food poisoning and just make you sick.
  • i eat hoagies everyday and i crave them. i did with my daughter and this one. everything is fine. i say before all these studies we never knew so dont stress out over the lil stuff. docs just find things they think linked to certain thinks.