Steroid shots to mature baby's lungs.

edited April 2011 in High risk pregnancy
I know there are probably quite a few of you who have had steroid injections to mature baby's lungs when you're high risk for preterm labor.

I wanna know from those who have had babies after the injections, was babies lungs okay and what was the outcome? I am 35 weeks and just started injections this week because I started going into labor over the weekend. I'm due May 14th but doc is pretty positive baby will come sooner than later. I hate the idea of her being on a vent or any machines... :(

Any stories and/or experiences are more than welcome. Happy pregnancy and baby dust to those TTC. :D

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I don't personally. But my mother had my now 6 year old SIS when she was 40....they put her on steroids for the same reason and all is well! My SIS is very active in sports and have no lung or other problems....although when she was 18 months we caught her carrying my fathers heavy tool box, swear its bc the roids. Lol

GOOD LUCK!
  • 35 wks is pretty good. Some babies could come out breathing fine at 35 wks w/o steroids and u could make it a little farther than that. Gotta think most twins are born at 35 wks. My much younger cousins were twins born at that point. They were perfectly fine just tiny
  • Haha that's funny. I told a friend yesterday I had to get steroid shots and she said "Are you trying to be a baseball player?" Haha. I'm sure she'll turn out just fine, I was just curious how effective it is and if there was a point in which it was more effective, like after 34 weeks or things along those lines. Also, if there were ever any side effects or harm done to baby.
  • @LillieBug I think she would be okay too, but any precautions I am open to. We ultimately want me go get to 37 weeks and at that point, there will be no more interventions, but my doc says whent baby is truly ready, baby is gonna come and there is no stopping her haha.
  • i had it and cause baby had a cystic hygroma and had my c section when she wa37 weeks everything worked out just fine
  • I had my 1st one at 34weeks and 5days...I had a preterm labor too...I got the shots 2 weeks before I had him...everything is fine when I delivered him...we only stayed at the hospital for 5 days..for more monitoring...he was only 4lbs and 14oz when I had him...so small but very strong baby boy! Don't worry everything will be fine... good luck 2 u...have a safe delivery!
  • Everything should be fine. Good luck!
  • I had da shots at 23 wks and had my baby at 25w4d. He was suppose to b in da hospital for 3 months but he was out a month earlier. Now he's a healthy 5 year old :)
  • I had 2 total with my 1st due to pre-e had them around 32 weeks and had my son at 35 weeks. He was in the sicu for 11 days but now he's a normal healthy 4 yr old.
  • My son was born at 25 weeks after only receiving the first shot, he came before I could have the second shot. I truly believe that is why he was able to come off the tube so quickly (he pulled his tube out). He came home 13 days before his actual due date. I can only image he would have done better if I has gotten the second shot. I haven't seen any negative effects. I hope I can get both shots with Annberlyn.
  • Thanks gals. this is all very encouraging news and I am glad that we've taken precautions to ensure she will be as healthy as possible if born in the next week or two. I just feel like it's almost time, my intuition and instincts are making me prep hardcore...I just know my time is coming very soon!
  • Hi I think she will be just fine I just took my two shots last week at 26w now I am 27w pregnant with twins a girl and a boy.i think the shors are good because it reassures us that if they are born a little early at least their lungs will be nature.good luck and thank everybody for their advice because it help me to because I didnt even know they jad shots and things to help the babies come here without complication
  • Well, here we are 2 months later and baby girl is doing well! She is doing what all babies do, and that is eat, sleep, cry and poop haha. She has gained 2 pounds in the 5 weeks she's been here, so I know she's well fed lol.
  • That is good, lol. At least she does baby things and not fish things. :D Congrats.
  • First of all wanted to say congrats on your baby girl she's adorable.
    2nd Im just wondering, does everyone get the steroid shots only twice? Or is it more? Im 26 weeks and I just recieved my second one earlier and I thought I'm done then before I left the nurse said im suppose to get them twice a week till I deliver??!! Ive never heard that before, actully I read online that getting more then 2 is dangerous? Does anyone know anything about that
  • @josie749 Thank you, she is amazing! :D

As for your question, I cannot answer one way or another as I am not sure. I only had the 2 in 24 hours and as far as I know that is all you're supposed to get. Again, I have no idea, sorry I am of no help. :(