Failed Mirena, cautiously joining, Due first week of December.

edited April 2011 in December 2011
Hello to all you ladies and congratulations on your expectancy. I am Kris. I am a 28 year old mother of two beautiful daughters, Lillian Elizabeth Grace born 11-21-06 and Lucy AnneMarie born 5-16-09. Both of which were born prematurely with resulted in hearing loss for Lucy due to hypoxia but, I wouldn't have her any other way. They and my partner Lee, 32, are the joys of my life.

Now for the pregnancy stuff, I had a mirena placed the summer of 09 which has worked like a dream up until recently...lee mentioned something one evening about...and TMI here...not feeling my strings. Great, set up and appt and went to the gyno. I found out not only had my IUD retracted but I was "with child" :) flood of emotions upon learning that they could not remove the IUD. Now its a threat to my unborn child. so here I am, halfway through my first trimester and still pregnant, which was unexpected but not entirely out of the question. I've been told for IUD babies with it still in place the second trimester is the most risky one. But, we are optimists so, I guess we have to wait and see what happens.

Again, Congrats on all the December little ones on the way, I can't wait to share this journey with you all and get to know you better. Happy and Healthy 9 months mamas! ~ Kris

Comments

• Welcome!! Is there any way they can take it out?
  • wow are you scared? and i was jus thinking if using the mirena too after i give birth.....
  • I'm always wondering about iud's. I'm choosing tubal. Last baby for me.
  • wow that is crazy best of luck to you and i hope that everything will be fine. and welcome to pregly, we are all hormonal and crazy but we give great advice when we can, and we also love recieving advice. :)
  • Wow! Keep us updated, will be thinkingabout you. I saw the little mirena model in a plastic uterus at my obgyn appointment and wondered how well it worked, it seemed weird to me, but know people it worked for. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy!!! Stay optimistic!
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks everyone, as for the questions, I cannot have it removed other than surgically which would no doubt terminate the pregnancy, is rather give it a fighting chance than throw in the towel.

I am terrified.

Just some info, mirena has a 2% failure rate. Go with paraguard. ;)
  • Wow. Ill have to tell my sil. She has mirena.. so if everything is fine the baby is born and then what.. do u birth the iud too? Or will you need a csection to get baby and iud? I know its really early to talk about that but idk if you knew or not..
  • Will b praying for u and baby. Mirena is a nightmare. I dont recomend it to anyone. God will watch over u and ur sweet baby. Keep us posted Mama! :)
  • wow congrats. I had my mirena taking out at the end of 09. wasnt in correctly if so it started coming out lol good luck on your pregnancy :-)
  • Welcome @KrisKarnage
    May God watch over ur friend n baby @kristaf22
  • I can kinda relate to ur story I had my mirena put in in dec of 09 and nov of 10 I went to have it checkd cuz I couldn't fill my string I went to the doc n it had tilted and so I had to have it put back in place well needless to say here it is april and I'm 6 weeks prego doc said it must have come out cuz can't find it have to go back to doc tomorrow to have another sono to see if they can see it.
  • I am 25 weeks and my mirena didn't do its job either! lol but they were thankfully able to remove it. Will they put you on bed rest through your second trimester?
    Good luck and welcome :)
  • Yikes. Now I'm not sure what to do after I have this baby. I don't want to be pregnant again and I'm not sure if I can get my tubes tied at 19.

Anyway, congrats! I hope your baby does good during the 2nd tri. Yay babies :D
  • I had mirena in as well I was always scared about that... I really hope everything works out for you. keep us updated for sure! I got mirena taken out feb. and still havent conceived.. it was so quick with my daughter,so om blaming mirena.... goodluck
  • @VictoriaB u may think ur done but ibelieve they wont tie ur tubes until 25. Maybe talk to ur dr bout depo. Its a shot lasts for 3 months. Also they have an implant birth control that goes under ur skin in the arm. I think that lasts for bout 5yrs. Good Luck
  • how far r u? well this makes up my mind about getting the mirena. thats scares me.. I hope everything goes well for u and ur lil one..
  • Well good luck honey, we will be praying for u! I had the paraguard for 6 years and it worked like a charm!! I had it taken out and literally 2weeks later i was pregnant!! It did its job and i love that the minute it was out i was fertile! So I'm a fan of that lil copper t!
  • @one5one
    My friend has the implant and she said she's only had one period in over a year. Sounds good to me! :) I was on the patch for a year but I stopped when it started giving me panic attacks. Some kind of hormone imbalance.
  • Wow I had it for years it worked wonderful. Congratulations
  • @VictoriaB I've heard bad thing on the patch. But try that implant. 1 period a year doesnt sound bad does it!
  • @victoriab i too wanted my tubes tied at 19 after having my second child.... they wouldnt even listen to my request..... luckily i was told i would not be able to concieve another child.... fast forward 9 years and im suddenly pregnant....wtf? Oh well. Its a blessing in disguise ...
  • Damn that IUD! I hope everything goes well hun and congrats on baby 3! What a blessing! I read about misplacement of IUDs' the other day at work. I work for a medical center in Dallas and they always send out these random e-mails. Anyways the article was by a gynecologist that basically said pregnancy while using an IUD is a result of the IUD being put in incorrectly. I really hope the outcome is good. Keep us posted! :)
  • Thanks everyone, I will keep you all updated for sure. According to pregly I'm 6w2d. I feel like time is ticking down to the danger zone. I'm unsure why the second tri is more dangerous but ill be sire and ask my doc at my next appt. Google scares the crap out of me.
  • thankyou so much for telling us that I was 6oing to get the marina but I wont now, I hope everuthing goes well for u, my sister is due 1st of dec good month lol, congrats n all the best xxx
  • @mommyagain my brothers wife is in mid thirties and was told she would never have a baby because she had a botched abortion a while back. Well she never had a period and she went to dr for routine exam and was told she was pg. Crazyy
  • @kritten_octoberbby i only had a period maybe 4 times a year....i had my last kod at 19... now at 31 im knocked up...been screwing my man for 8 years! Lol. Its strabge that im 14 weeks along and apps say my last period was jan 5th.... uh no... lol my last period was like november! Not sure how that happened!
  • Lol. Before i had sex i had like 5 periods a year.. didnt know if it was normal or now but now i have one..:(
  • This is why I always recommend the Nuva ring soo much easier. I had to take out my IUD cuz my hubby said he could feel the strings too much. Now four years later here comes baby number 4.
  • Just because this happen to her doesn't mean it happens to everyone I had my mirena for five years no problems at all and I got it out got prego month later