Parovirus ( 5th disease)

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
So i got a call from my ob that i tested positive for the Parovirus also called 5th disease which is normally a childhood sickness that you get when your young that causes a rash and a low fever and goes away in a few days, but in pregnancy it can cause the baby to become anemic and can cause heart failure. When they drew the blood for this test i went into my ob complaining of a fever and cough and aches so my doc, decided to test me for a few viruses. When my ob called a month later saying that i tested positive she said that It could have came back positive if i already had the virus when i was young and created antibodies or that i currently have the sickness. I think i remember having the illness when i was about 7 but that was a long time ago and i am only 90 percent certain that i had it. Now i am going in for another blood test and if the levels are the same that means that i just have the antibodies. I have 2 little boys that never had this virus and I believe that if i was sick while pregnant that they would have gotten sick too. If i just have the antibodies it does no harm. I am not that worried that i have currently been sick with the virus but I just want to know anyone else has had this type of problem.

Comments

• Sorry to hear about this. I had 5ths disease a few years before I had my first, not while prego. I thought it was something you only get once?? Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok.
  • I was tested for parvo and the doc came back and said they were able to tell that I didn't have it but had been infected with it at one point and built up the antibodies. I am not sure why one would say they could tell when another says that's can't. Maybe there's such thing as a false positive? The only thing with mine is I have never had the parvo virus or 5th disease from what I remember. I have alos had dogs all my life and they can easily contract parvo from us or vis versa but it is deadly to dogs if they don't get treatment and even then they could die. I am not sure what to tell you. Its a crazy workd of diseases out there I guess.
  • i think tht since i came in sick that they wanted to double check the levels, i true believe that nothing is wrong and like most people was exposed during childhood. i think tht my kids would have gotten it if i was sick since its they dont have immunity. and that i would have trouble with the baby since and i havent.