High Risk, Medicaid...

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
My doctor sent me to a fetal medicine doctor due to my hyperthyroidism. I heard that this qualifies me for high risk. Ive had 2 ultrasounds and was told that after 3 I would have to pay for the additional u/s. I was speaking with my mom yesterday and she says that medicaid has to cover for all of the ultrasounds even if its more than 3 because Im high risk...

Does anyone know for sure, or anyone high risk that has medicaid also?
Does hyperthyroid and seeing fetal med doc. put me in high risk?

Comments

• As long as there is medical reasons they have to pay
  • If your doctor says they are medically necesary Medicaid has to pay for them. I have had 4 done already and have one scheduled for my next doctors appointment.
  • we have been talking aout this all day I'm high risk because of my bp but have never had high bp during a visit it's crazy of and because I'm over weight but I guess it depends on the doctor because I have had way more than 3
  • So they cant bill you for the additional ones? Do they know Im high risk by seeing a fetal medicine doctor also?
  • As long as the doctor says you need them they can't bill you for them.
  • @preggointx Yea I was reading your thread but I didnt want to ask there because no one really answers when i do on the threads. So they havent asked you for anything because youve had more.. due to high risk?
  • @hurstk28 ohh ok thats great because Im sure theyll be doing a few more and Id hate to pay $200 for extras. ;-)
  • I agree with hurstk28 I have Medicaid and I'm high risk bc of past history of epilepsy and my five wants me to have an u/s every other month if not every month. I've had one I'm scheduled for my second next week. I'm 12 weeks and 5 days. If Medicaid knows you're pregnant they have to cover what ur doc says u need. Don't let them screw u over.
  • My *doc wants me to have
  • I am high-risk I get monthly ultrasound s also twice a week fetal monitoring,childbirth classes and even taxi rides back and forth to and Medicaid covers all
  • @kdaniels yea Ill probably speak to my doctor about it just to make sure theyre not going to bill me for u/s that I need because I need them and theyre not for my pleasure. (even though it is a plus to see that baby :) ) Good Luck with your pregnancy mama.
  • @angieface oh wow, Ive never heard of that thats wonderful. Im going to call and see what the medicaid will cover for me. I didnt know they would also cover the childbirth classes. Its my first!
  • I'm very high risk I go to the hospital every 2 weeks to get ultrasounds and I've never had any issues with medicaid covering it as long as it medically needed they have to cover it the only thing I have problem with medicaid covering is some of my medications like progestone they wanted to put me on but after months my docs found a way for medicaid to cover it goodluck with ur pregnancy
  • You too! Thanks guys. :p
  • Thank u sweetie. And you too. Remember that your body that babys in don't let anyone tell u ur not entitled to make sure he/she is okay! Mothers instinct trumps everything else everytime :)
  • Best thing to do is make sure your ob is a high risk qualified doctor, not just normal. They will work with Medicaid and you may not have to do anything. I am on Medicaid and also high risk for past seizures just like @kdaniels. But I was referee to a high risk doctor who is covered by Medicaid thank his. But he will call them if need be. Good luck hun. Just be patient and work it out.
  • After 5 prescriptions a month in Tn you have to pay for them.
  • @ckazfirst Im not sure if shes a high risk doctor because she sent me to a fetal medicine doctor. So shes my primary OB and I follow up with her but I see the fetal med doc once every few weeks or every other month. And shes a great OB, id hate to change. Sounds like Were in the same kind of situation but diff high risks. lol Thanks mama.
  • My new doctor won't label me high risk because my pressure is only high when I'm not at the doctor...lol but I do think they can notate ur account for high risk and if it is due to medical reasons u tell them they can screw u giving them any extra money because it is in the guidelines and I agree u might need to make that doctor ur new primary ob for billing purposes
  • @MunecaLinda no problem hun. It's hard I switched my doctors cause the other one didn't get it. I'm so happy now though. I hope all works out for you.
  • I sure hope so cause I've had 10 already and another one on Monday. Im high risk in the hospital.