How do i get my 3 year old son to sleep by himself

edited April 2011 in Parenting
My son have been sleeping with me and my Hubby for 3 year, and I think its time for him to sleep in his own bed. Tried to put him in his bed he went to sleep but woke up about 15 mins later crying, so I went in there to calm him down. He said he wanted to sleep with us, it broke my heart to see my baby cry so I gave in.. another problem is that my Hubby want him to wait till he get 5 and make him sleep in his bed, and I'm like what the he**. So how can I get him to sleep in his own bed?

Comments

• Does he have a night lite? Also try running him ragged all day so he is so tried at night that he won't care where he sleeps. Or let him fall asleep in bed with you and then carry him to his bed. Tell him that he is a big boy and just like daddy he needs to sleep in his big boy bed. works for my nephew when i babysit him, he will fall asleep where ever he can the floor the couch, but i have a talk with his every time i watch him that he is a big boy and that he needs to sleep like a big boy. Even if he has a night lite maybe give him and easy on/off flash light so when he gets scared he can turn it on. Or give him a few books and let him read with the light on and then soon he will get tried of reading and pass out and then just turn the light on. When he wakes up at night calm him down try warm milk in a sippy cup or a cup and then have him lay on his belly and either rub or pat his back whatever he perfers,
  • I let mine watch tv and keep it on all night but turn the volume down. that way if he wakes up he can watch it till he falls asleep again
  • @Karla_with_a_K I never thought of that.
  • I remember when my mom remarried (years n years ago) my step dad never had kids and he hated that my little brother slept with her so he started to not let him on the bed so many mornings my mom would find my little brother asleep in the dog bed on the floor :( once he locked the door so my little brother got a towel out of the bathroom n slept next to the door :( it was sad but he eventually started sleeping in his own bed

Btw he was 5yrs old