first appointment today! a piece of advice for other first time moms!

edited April 2011 in First Trimester
So today was my first appt with my OB! Besides taking vitals, a ton of blood, pelvic exam and questions, we were asked immediately about some of the prenatal testing. My advice is talk to your hubby/baby daddy before you go about your choices for testing! Do you want to be tested to see if you are a cystic fibrosis carrier? How about HIV? Do you want to screen for down syndrome? You will only need to consent to the first two at the first appt, but just wanted new moms to feel prepared!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I guess that depends on the doc u have or where u live...I didn't have to consent to anything at my first appt and I'm high risk. She told me about my options for testing but it wasn't until after my third visit that I had to make a decision on doing the NT screening. I'm 10w4d. Get screening on May 2nd
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wasn't either...lol. referring to the genetic screening
  • Hiv test is mandatory in nc. It was either test me or test my baby when he/she is born I agreed me. Obgyn told me when the child born they would do blood work then. So to save the pain for my child they checked me. Like a couple days before my doctor appt. My sister inlaw told me her school lunchroom tables tested positive for 8 std. I went to that school 3 yrs ago. T now when I go out I wash my hands after every place I go. Genetic testing was offered but I didn't do it because there is no one in my family or my hubby family with genetic disorder. I would recommend doing any std testing its good to get tested.