? about high blood pressure

edited April 2011 in High risk pregnancy
so i went in for a normal check up and dr said i have high blood pressure 157/93 i think...now he wants 2 c me every week and do ultrasounds every month...he doesnt know if i have chronic HPB or if its just come on with pregnancy....

what can i do to help lower the HBP? i want baby to be ok. Im so worried...he told me this long list of stuff that can happen to me if we dont watch it realy close! what can i do to help the situation?

Comments

• Watch your salt intake for one. That can cause it to raise. Try not to get too stressed and relax as much as possible. Good luck! That's the best advice I have to give.
  • @PrayinForMiracles thanks for the tips! trying to stay relaxed is going 2 b difficult for me....litterally im a person thats wired 110 and burning 220! i havent been able 2 sit still all afternoon!

and i have college finals next week! uuggghhh!!!
  • Take time to sit w your feet up. It will help. :)
  • edited April 2011
    It will be important to learn to relax now. You will need it in labor and when u bring the baby home ;) I had high blood pressure last pregnancy and had to eliminate several stressors from my life (including my high stress position at work) this pregnancy I haven't had any high blood pressure in spite of other medical concerns. (Except for the day the nurse opened the door and knocked my toddler down :( .)

Hopefully you can take a break after finals or you may want to ask if you can take an incomplete so u have more time to finish everything. If it stays high your O B could put u on bed rest which is a real drag
  • @blissmarie23 oooo no...bed rest would suck! he already said no more walking for exercise...(ive been walking 2 1/2 miles a day to relieve stress) :( i liked 2 walk!
  • My OB put me on bed rest the week we were going to find an apt in a city 1 1/2 hours from where I lived at the time :( I ended up cheating and broke the bed rest so we would have somewhere to live once I had the baby. My blood pressure went down the next week ;) . Bed rest does suck if your used to being active just look at relaxation time as baby bonding time. You can talk to him and sing and generally get ready for him to come. If you plan on nursing you'll end up spending alot of down time. You may spend half the day sitting around feeding him but that time doesn't last long.
  • I'm 27 weeks pregnant with high Blood pressure. I had hbp when I found out I was pregnant. Previously I was on Metropolol but my Dr switched me to labetolol to control it. Other than the meds I've had to monitor my BP daily, if its above 140/90 I call the Dr. I've had to do five 24 our urine collections to determine the protein levels which can affect the baby. I go in for Ultrasounds every month and have been going to the Dr every week. So far everything looks good and the baby is doing great. Just try to relax and eat healthy. Good luck!
  • I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm 37 wks and had a BP of 150/97 Monday night. I had normal BP all through my pregnancy so OB is just concerned about how fast it happened. Pretty much overnight! So now he just has me on strict bedrest which has been helping with the BP but I'm still getting quite dizzy and whatnot. I just hope my baby girl is ok in there. Good luck and lots of prayers for you!