im trying to break this habit =\

edited February 2011 in October 2011
When I'm stressed and annoyed I can't help but smoke a cigarette & I know I shouldn't be but its aggravating to wait to test, I want to stop soo bad because I want this baby & I've been crampy lately my period is due tomorrow & I never get cramps days or even weeks before like I have been. This only happened with my first pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage : ( - my fiance and I are really excited ; I'm just venting because I hope someone can relate to my situation.

Comments

• I am eighteen weeks and still smoke have cut down so my dr. is happy with me good luck
  • Yeah I've cut down to. This is the first cig I've had in a week. Honestly smoking is starting to make me feel sick & more out of breath. So I will stop. Thanks. I'd be 4w if I am prego. I just want a healthy baby!
  • edited February 2011
    Good luck and try not to stress even more...it will only make you crave more, that's prob why your doc said to just drastically cut down because they usually are more worried about the stress the mother puts on herself and the fetus from. Up and quitting a habit. Also be prepared for the answers you receive on this post, many on here do not seem too compassionate at all, but don't take it to heart:) You are not the only one in your shoes :)
  • I stopped the day I found out but when I told my doctor she said that was really bad. Apparently you should slowly quit so you don't send your body into shock. I've had a few in the past 7 months bc of bein really really stressed. But I'm sure you're fine! People smoke their entire pregnancy and have healthy babies. No worries.
  • Yeah its tough. I'm definitely not going to anymore. Its a horrid habit really. Oh & I've noticed. The answers are blah sometimes. Everyone's kinda into themselves, I think all pregnancies are beautiful but I'm just a sweetheart. Its fine with me. Noones better than anyone. Its just hard to find someone to relate to sometimes & that's all I'm looking for. Thanks a lot for commenting(: & the your honesty.
  • @jmichelle, I stooped a week before with my first pregnancy because I had a feeling I was. & I'm trying to do that again. It's just nerve wrecking sometimes. That's true. Thanks(: I'm definitely quitting all together though.
  • Im trying too but my dr. said if I can't he understands so im glad I don't have one thats constantly yelling at me
  • I've shared my method several times, and ill post it again. I was smoking two packs of Marlboro Menthol milds a day when I suddenly realized that smoking was... gross. I'm lucky I wasn't pregnant, and I'm proud of you ladies that manage to quit while being hormonal.

So I decided I first wanted to break all of my habits before ditching the addiction. I did this by creating a new habit. I only allowed myself to smoke after 10:30 pm. At first I could have two if I wanted. Then only one. I did this for a month. Whenever I wanted one I reminded myself that I could have it later and found a distraction. The procrastination was better than outright denial for me.

I would forget my cigarette some days toward the end. And my cigarettes got so stale that it helped as an extra deterrent.

I fell off the wagon a few times, it's true. And seeing other drivers smoking made me want to run them down and steal their cigs at first. But it gets better. So much better. My asthma has virtually disappeared. I have less congestion. My chronic cough is gone. And I just feel better.

Whatever method you use to kick that nasty brown plant, I wish you the best of luck. I know you are stronger than that ugly thing. You can grow a baby and deal with all the bullshit it entails. You can overcome cigarettes.
  • Wow that's inspiring honestly. And I really know I can kick the habit I've done it before, I've sorta thought of it like that it is really gross and there arent any benefits of inhaling that crap.
    Its chemicals ; scars your insides & may keep you from creating life period. Its an emotional thing, when you really want something to happen you have to have emotion for it or else it probably wont happen. I learned this in church oneday & my pastor used smoking as a direct example. I appreciate your story I really do. And I know I want this possible life inside me to have a chance so I WILL quit completely. Regardless of "oh its just one" it still has an affect on the embryo even. I don't want another m/c because of cigarettes.
  • You can do it. Don't let the negative thoughts get control. Stay positive! Negativity feeds the addiction. You have to put a positive spin on everything and try to keep yourself smiling.

You do have some awesome motivation and something to smile about, it will help in the dark hours.
  • Thank you @jwigs! Your a big help. And totally right. In going to try these techniques of yours too.
  • <3 good luck!
  • Thanks you too(:<3
  • I quit when I was about 7 wks. I realized if I didn't just do it cold turkey I would keep making excuses for myself to allow the smoking too continue. So I just did it, didn't make a big deal about it didn't set a date, just said to mind ok I'm done as of right now. It was tough but if you are a strong person u can do it! 9 wks later I don't think about cigs that often just miss a stress reliever. In my second trimester irritability has kicked in along with a busy work schedule, so now I just need to find something else to unwind with since no cigs and no booze. Yoga it is!
  • I smoked with my 1st but gave up with my 2nd smoking is ur habit and u wudnt give a newborn a ciggy wud u,try and see it like that I haven't smoked now 4 6yrs and hate it now,its hard at 1st but uve got the perfect motivation ur lovely baby :)
  • I smoked here and there durring my three pregnancies. Id take a hit here amd there wen my friends were smoking this time it makes me sick to smell it. Just think every time u light it that its not good for the baby.. Ugh...... Then u will quit. Promise
  • Hopefulmommytobe I'm so glad u said it no one is better than anyone and while smoking is definitley bad for a person, pregnant or not, were all human and personally i think it could be a way worse addiction or stress vice such as drinking too much alcohol (my baby cousin was born with fas) or even hard street drugs. I am 24 weeks and I've been smoking cigs for over 2 years but i have drastically cut down from 3/4 pack a day to couple cigs a day to now i only smoke one every couple days! And the secret is this- don't stress about trying to quit!!! When i was trying really hard to quit smoking i actually smoked more. It was stressful because i was putting myself under so much pressure to quit and it backfired on me. I stopped trying to quit because honestly i gave up on myself and figured i was going to be one of those who smoked the whole time. And then my body just didn't want the cigarette anymore. I don't crave it and it actually makes me sick if i even smell my moms smoke! Your body will tell u when your ready to quite. And if/when u are pregnant your baby will decide when enough is enough i promise. Don't stress and quit cold turkey or anything it will make it harder and more agonizing. Good luck i hoped i helped u with my experience with the nasty mean tobacco monster :)
  • Its hard but i quit w my first and now w my second i quit the day i found out you can do it just have faith in yourself
  • It is hard to quit smoking!! I've been lucky enough to quit cold turkey on the day I got a positive pregnancy test, with both pregnancies. I try to think of how guilty I might feel if the baby had athsma or something after it was born... I'd have that "what if" hanging over my head. So I guess you could say I guilt myself out of smoking. Lol. People around me still smoke and it makes me want one at times, but I haven't! Good luck! You can do it! :)
  • tell me about it! its really hard to quit. i have a 9 year old son already and he has some difficulties in school and not to mention his father (not with him) A**hole! so i am under ALOT of pathetic stress. with my son i was able to cut myself back to about 6-7 cigs a day, but im finding it even harder to quit with this second pregnancy. i know how you are feeling. but there are worse things you could be smoking. i try not to get to worked up emotionally over it cause it will casue me to want to smoke. what i have been doing lately is if i go out like leave my apartment i dont bring any cigarettes with me. i dont buy packs i give myself 8 a day from my bf pack and they have to last me from when i get up to when i go to bed. its hard. but im trying.