birth plan options

edited April 2011 in Military moms
Ok so I'm 18 wks and we are stationed in norfolk va I've been looking at all my options and I'm begining to lean towards an at home natural birth or at the very least a midwife birthing center I want nothing to do with naval medical center I'm just not sure how to go about it all ecspecially the insurance thing I'm on prime now but I'm sure id have to switch to standard but do you or anyone you all know have any experience with this

Comments

• Lol I wouldn't want to have my baby at portsmouth eather! Lol but they might give u a bandaid if ur good! Lol
  • This scares me...why does everyone hate on base ob? Do they deliver bad or something?
  • Well I don't want to deleiver in a hospital they normally pressure you to take drugs for labor and all that and also I don not trust the military doctors ttheyve never met my standards compared to civis
  • I think the best place to start is to call your insurance and find out, as far as what they cover, what your birthing options are. I really really like the ida of birthing center, I think thats a great middle ground between home birth and a hospital. From there, I guess you should look into what birthing centers are near you.
  • edited April 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yes you would have to switch to standard but u can always switch right back. im active and i wanted soo badly to have a home birth because i come from a really close family and im alway at members births (13 so far!) and the ones that have babys at home are so much calmer and just better all around so if u can id do a home birth with a midwife or a birthing center is nice too! to bad they dont let active mothers have home births (MAKES ME SO MAD)
  • Oh ok....yah our base contracted a local ob office for us. But I'm not crazy about the hospital.
  • I'm not sure you can switch then switch right back. I believe if you switch you have to stay on it for a certain amount of time.
  • @navybabyonway it seems you have to stay on it for a year and I found a birthing center in my area unfortunatley they won't accept you unless they see you before 20wks and I'm 19 wks and nothing will go through until its too late I don't rlly wanna do a home birth so I may be stuck with the hospital and it seems the water birth is out b/c I'm about 90% sure portsmouth doesn't offer it so idk I wish I would've made a decision sooner but ill figure it out
  • I'm not sure what its like there, we don't have a military hospital near us and they usually send all of us off base to be seen by an ob. We have 2 hospitals to pick from one of them is more like a birthing center but.you have to make it through 37 weeks which is really where I wanna deliever so we are praying I make it till next Friday but we aren't sure.