Breastfeeding question! Atleast READ this.

edited April 2011 in Breastfeeding
I am going to soley breastfeed my child.

I am going to pump extra milk into correct bags and freeze it..

Once I thaw the amount of milk I need, does it matter what bottle I use?

That is the only thing I cannot find an answer for on Google!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It really depends on the babys preference. We had to try out different nipples. My daughter needed the flat tip. However my son needed the rounded tip. Its best to only get the minimum of a couple nipples til u found out what the baby wants
  • My nephews mom did that bc my nephew was born at 29 weeks and her Dr said it did not matter :)
  • Ok, but any bottle should be fine?

Nipples, I don't quite understand the stages of them.

Sorry if I sound annoying, I'm not usually confused.
  • My pump came with bottles and with my daughter we mostly used those at first until we switched her to formula. I love Gerber NUK bottles but that is just a personal preference.
  • Ohhh, that is very helpful !! Thank You! Now, when I go finish my registries, I can better understand the bottle and nipple items!
  • I just used the drop ins by Playtex that's all my son would take I trued the dr browns and the soothe ones but he liked Playtex with the brown nipple lol I think its whatever works
  • It will say on the box abut the flow I think I started with the low flow because you don't want your baby to gets lazy I mean they have to work to get it from you :)
  • The stages should be explained on the back of the package. However, stage one should be started with. then about 3 months old, when the baby starts getting irritated its not getting the milk fast enough go to stage 2, so forth. But the bottle itself is whatever. If u use bags the fill then u need a bottle used with drop ins. And if u fill into a bottle, as long as the nipples fit the bottles ur fine
  • According to my lactation consultant the best kinds to use if trying to do breast and bottle are nuk, avent and breastflow. But basically you just want to look for something similar to natural nipple shape. Personally I say try them all and use whatever one your baby seems to like as long and they still latch on the breast well.. some less natural shaped nipples like the playtex dropins sometime can cause nipple confusion where the baby will refuse wither the bottle or breast usually the breast because they have to work harder to get milk than they do with a bottle. :)
  • There are bottles called breastflow that help with the transition between breast and bottle and they are shaped like the breast.
  • Im just going to use the bags to freeze the milk, then pour it into the bottle when She is hungry.

Thanks @lil_buggie_3 and @survivormommie3 !! And everyone else.
  • I was looking into breastflow.
  • When you thaw your milk you can put it into any bottle you and your baby prefer. My son preferred the playtex ones with the large nipples, it didn't affect his ability to latch on again either.
  • Sweet, thank you!
  • no.. but it does matter if your baby will take a certian nipple.. i tried everything mine wouldnt take anything but my breast,, good luck

• I will be breastfeeding and pumping/freezing/thawing also, and we are going with the Playtex Drop-Ins bottles with the Playtex NaturaLatch Slow Flow nipples. Good luck finding what's right for you!
  • I recommend th drop-ins bottle bc they help th baby not get colics :)
  • edited May 2011
    I used the breastflow bottles will breast feeding and they worked great for a baby on both breast and bottle.
  • I am, gonna use the breast flow bottles they are apposed to work like the mom's nipples and minimize nipple confusion.
  • I found gerber brand storage bags that zip locked at the top, had markings for oz and mls, a place to write the date, and would slide right into a playtex drop in bottle. They were great! No transfer of milk so less chance of bacteria. I waited til about 4 mons old before trying bottle but I had luxury of being with her all the time. She never cared who.fed her from what, and was always able.to pump, I was lucky.
  • I decided against drop-ins. I just want to pump when not feeding, store, then thaw when needed. I have decided to use the breastflow bottles. I registered for them I think on all 3 registries. Then bigger regular bottles for later down the road.