What do I do? Please read!

edited February 2011 in Teen moms
Hi everybody. i'm a 17 year old honor student who missed her period. I'm a senior in high school but I am the youngest on both sides of the family & the first to graduate high school. I start college,as a freshmen in August on campus. I live with my boyfriend. My dad died 11-1-10. I just quit my job but about to start another. I am the center of attention in both families & everyone has high expectations of me because of my high potential & future. Idk how I am going to deal with them & be pregnant because Abortion is out the question. I have my priorities lined up correctly but I know it will change the way my family sees me. I wont let them down though. I plan to get all the help I can so that I can pursue my career while caring for this child. iM seeking a mentor who can relate & help guide me through this. Because failure is not an option. I need help. :/

Comments

• Well it seems like u have your head on str8 stick to your plan ..;-)
  • Thanks. I will do just that.
  • Not sure what school your going to but most don't let you live on campus with a baby.....
  • I figured that but there should be programs right?
  • I think living on campus is out of the question for you. You might want to contact the school and check on off campus housing. They might be able to help you out that way. Are you going to school far from home?
  • edited February 2011
    No not at all I am on an independent high school student contracr & by my father being deceased & mother living in Poverty I receive lots of assistance with college & on-campus housing would be covered for me.
  • Hey I got really surprised when I read ur situation cus im in the same one but I bearly found out yesturday I was pregnant....im a senior in high school, 17 years old, honor student and about to go to college. Its a dificult situation were we both have to make really wise choices. And if u believe in God just pray and ask him to help u in this situation so everything can go good.
  • Thank you. Thats really nice of you. Glad I found someone who can closely relate!
  • I was in your same position...only I was a freshmen in high school when I got pregnant. No one expected it from me (as bad as this sounds it was something that was more likely to happen to my older sister). I was an honor student as well and verrry good at softball. My life revolved around school and sports. My sister was the party girl, didnt do good in school, and was always getting in trouble. When I told my family I was pregnant I knew I had let them down. Everythong changed. I didnt get to play any more sports bc as soon as I had my daughter my life revolved around school and work. I never gave up though and I was more determined to succeed. My dreams of playing softball in college never happened but I made new dreams for my daughter and me. I did graduate high school then joined the army. Im now out of the army, married, pregnant woth baby #3 and im on my second year of college.

The point I want to make is tgat your plans might chamge, but as long as you have your head going in the right direction then you will still succeed. Dont let anyone look down on you and let all that strength and determination you have be stronger than ever now. You can still make everyone proud, but ultimately make yourself proud!

I hope that helps...at least a little
  • Still id say your best bet is to contact the school. They should be able to guide you best. There are many didn't programs out there to help assist you. Im sure everything will work out for you and you will do great in college on or off campus living.... Good luck to you!!!
  • Hello, I also was in your position...I had my first child when I was 17 in my Junior year of High School. I had a full scholarship to college playing softball and the school actually set up housing for me and my son....unfortunately, I declined the offer because my family didn't want me to take the baby to another state and I didn't want to leave him. There are some schools that will set up housing for you and your baby. I did go to college but in the city that I live in. now, 18 years later, I am pregnant with my second child and my first is on his way to college
  • Definitely stick to your plan!!!! Is your boyfriend sticking by your side and going to help? Don't let anything bring you down, the most important thing right now is to focus on your schooling, yourself, & your baby! Everything around will just have to fall in place. Don't stress about the things you can't control & I think you are a wonderfu mature young lady for taking the responsibility and not letting abortion be an option. Congratulations!!!!!!
  • I had my twin boys when I was 16. I was in the same position, played sports, was a full honor student, & had a full scholarship to college. After I had my boys, I changed my career plans, & I got a scholarship closer to home. I would talk to the school housing department, most of them know where the best deals are for housing off campus. Most schools won't let you live on campus with a baby.

As to your family, they will come around. My brother was the one most upset with me because we were very close & he had really high hopes for me. Once he realized that I was still going to school & that I had a plan he came around & we are close again. Your family may say things out of initial shock, but let the shock wear off, then start taking them seriously.
  • The school will be able to provide options for child care and everything, maybe even a pregnant student advocate. You just have to do your research and have a plan of action ready before the baby gets here. they can't drop you because of your pregnancy unless your grades start to suffer. The school will allow you time off to care for your newborn, it just depends on the school for how long. In my case, I get as long as I want to care for the baby and then I jump right back in the program because I'm due at midterm.

Trust me, your family will understand. At first, they'll be disappointed, but after a few days everyone will be so happy that the next generation is started. They're your family, they have to love you. Especially your mother. You two will grow so much closer during and after this.. that's what happened to my mom and I.

But, no need to stress. It just puts more strain on the baby and makes you crazy. You have a good head on your shoulders, and believe me, your not alone. Your friends, your family, and even your co-workers are all there for you. Your baby is #1 now, and everyone will make sure that's how it stays. Don't be pregnant and stressed.. be pregnant and happy! You now have something that is truly your own, you didn't have to buy it or pay someone for it, no one can take that little life that's growing in your tummy. Its yours. Just wait until your first ultrasound. The best sound in the world is your babys heartbeat and the best feeling is the flutter of them moving.

But don't worry, everything will work out. There's a reason these things happen. As long as you keep your goals in sight, nothing can stop you. Motherhood is just one of those things that happen along the way to make you a stronger person.
  • Wow, i had to comment to commend you. It's lovely to hear of a young girl that has her head screwed on. Keep going and I'm dannie sure all will work out. I had my first quite young but still went on to get a very good senior management position. Having a child only stops your dreams if you let them. Yes things may change but if you have ambition then the only thing that will let you down is you... Work hard and only worry about things you can change not the things you can't. Good luck and I have a feeling your father would be VERY proud of you x x
  • @mommy x3: omg wow great life story! I still see a bright future for myself just plus one! I love your influence thanks!

@mama2joe thanks!

@kenny thats really great! Im going to look into the schools!

@twins thank you so much & im praying for twins for you! Thats great advice & thats actually my main focus. My boyfriend has age over me & says he thinks we aren't ready b/c of his probation but whatever I decide he's with me 100% but like I told him im having this baby & my future with or without you! So yeah I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

@kriss: I like your story I can relate because my big brother goes to pv & believe it or not out of me & my 5 sisters im the only one he talks to b/c of my success vs their failures. Thanks.

@may: yes yes yes thats exactly what I needed!

I'M FEELING BETTER ALREADY EVERYONE :-*!!!
  • First things first. Buy a test to confirm your pregnancy. If it's positive, seek prenstal care. The good thing about your timing is at least you'll be done with high school. As for starting college in the fall, you may have to talk to the admissions counselor about a medical leave of absence and starting either the semester/quarter afterwards or even the next year. I was in your same situation and started college a year after all my friends. I finished in 4 years, took a year off, then went back and completed my master's degree. Let me just say that those were the hardest years of my life and I would never wish anyone in that same situation. My husband (bf at the time) was supportive at first, but that gave away to arguments because I was always gone. Oh I worked full time by the way. I had supportive families on both sides so I always had day care options. It's extremely stressful, you'll cry and want to quit many times because you're in school or have to study when all you want to do is hold your child. But it can be done. Feel free to ask me any questions if you'd like. If I could impart some knowledge to make life easier for someone else, I'm glad to do so because I wish someone would have done the same for me.
  • @cheryl you almost made me cry!! Thank you I love when I get the feeling that my dad is smiling down on me b/c i've done something to make him happy. I still plan on doing so! Thanks!
  • @charlie: you seem like the type of guidance I need. Anything for my child & my future I will do. I want to be happy & successful while making my family proud of me. Thank you.
  • No worries hunny. I have 2 girls myself and have to say I hope they grow to have your head on their shoulders. Accidents happen but that's part of life so live your life to the full and make your family proud but mostly make yourself proud. I wish I lived closer so as to help you but I'm a long way away. X x
  • Yeah I wish you were closer too. But hey I can only hope for the best & make it work!
  • You will. Keep me posted. X x
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you for the prayers! Everything will work out great and just make sure to stand your ground w/ your bf. I have had so many friends get pregnant and then during the pregnancy they split, & then the mom falls apart & loses sight of whats most important but on another page I have also had friends that their bf stepped-up to the plate and have been changed and matured. Just keep your head high and focus on you and your babies future. ;) Good luck sweetie
  • Only problem u can not live on campus with a baby
  • @twins ok thanks!

@3: its worth a try at TSU. If not ill just stay on my knees & everything will work out.