Drop-in Bottles??....Naive first time Mommy thoughts?

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
Today I was talking to a girlfriend of mine who has a 1month old. She said she has 9 drop-in bottles and still washes bottles everyday. Im thinking if thats the case, it seems like a waste to buy drop-ins and constantly pay for liners. I may as well buy regular bottles if im going to wash them everyday anyway. So here are my naive first time Mommy questions.....

Was it triflin of me to think that you could use a drop-in more than once since theres a liner?
How many bottles should I start off with?
What are the benefits to drop-ins vs regular bottles?
Are all bottles dishwasher safe?

Comments

• See im a first time mom but i love drop ins bc i use to babysit my niece and they are hella easy now i cant figure out for the life of me why the hell does she have to wash the bottles everyday lol the only thing should be washing are the nipples and tops...i dont care for the regular bottles due to cleaning and the drop ins help with air control great for colic and idk if all bottles are dishwasher safe...imma google it
  • You could just wash the nipple and the rim of the bottle..
    I say at least 6 or 7 bottles?
    Drop ins! Help baby swallow less air which means less gas and not so cranky baby, also if you're planning to breastfeed its easier transition with their latex (the brown) nipple.
    Idk if all are dishwasher safe I was dishes by hand lol
  • I just googled it and it says on package it lets you know if its safe or not
  • I was told about drop ins, and was for it.. then I thought about it. I'd rather use regular bottles and pour my milk in them. I'm gunna use first years breastflow bottles.
  • The drop ins you can squeeze the air out so the baby won't get gas. And I think just washing the nipple and rim should be good. You want it to be clean to prevent the white thing that coats the babys mouth...can't think of what its called
  • @ebbry89 Thanks for researching that.
    @lily_glz Youre better than me. I always grew up with dishwashers but my Mom never let me use them. I was the dishwasher. Now I hate doing dishes.
    @tiff87124 The liners or bottles dont come with measurements on them?
    @caroline8_p I think im on the fence now. I plan to mostly breasfeed. On one hand drop ins sound good for that but regular bottles seem to make more sense economically.

I plan to breast feed. So heres another question. My same friend gave me these bags that your supposed to pump into. Do they have those as liners to just drop in to the bottle?
  • @mscheyla thrush. I loved drop ins w my son and will be using them this time.
  • You dont need too many bottles, we started with like 4 of the small ones. You def dont need to wash each time, just rinse the nipple out. They are amazing! great for gassy babies!
  • @mommys1stbundle and @tiff87124 I have Gerber seal n go breast milk storage bags and they do work in the Playtex drop in bottles
  • I tried the drop ins with my son but he had reflux really bad and my.doctor said 99% of digestional problems are caused.by the drop ins even if u push out the air I tried a ton of bottles and dr brown worked for us but thete are plenty of babies who did ok with the drop ins I guess it just depends on the child for mine it just made the reflux worse I spent hundreds of dollars trying out different bottles so I would suggest getting a few at first to see how ur child takes to them hopefully u have.no problems like I did again this is just my suggestion
  • Ok got it. I think I will try a few different ones.
  • I know it sucks cleaning bottles but seriously the dr brown bottles are amazing and I have seriously tried every bottle made plus I do.daycare and every child I have is using the dr browns I swear apon them thete great for all feeding problems and.colic and all the kids that were breast fed did fine with them good luck girl I just hate to see people have to go thru what I did n spend hundreds if they dont have to
  • My daughter had horrible colic issues and we tried everything possible including drop ins and dr browns was the only thing that helped. It worked wonders. It was an immediate change.
  • @tiff87124 I had my last baby in 09/2009 I have a couple left over from then.I bought mine at target.I know they still have them there.there are alot in the package and are a good price:)
  • @Tiff87124 Good advice! the same thing happened to me and my daughter.
  • The born free bottles worked really well for us .
  • I thought I read somewhere on here that Dr. Browns were expensive?

Im glad for this app. Ive learned alot about breast feeding that I didnt know. I thought I would pump exclusively until I read a post here. I also always say IF I can breast feed now. I think ill be o.k. with it if I cant.
  • The amount of money spent on buying gas drops and bottles that didnt work was way more expensive. I think theyre pretty cheap at walmart and target..
  • I breastfed for all of five minutes before they took her to the nursery. I specifically told the nurses not to give my daughter a bottle or pacifer until i could breastfeed again and they did anyways. I was so mad. I tried and tried to get her to latch on I even had a consultant come in and she said they do that just to get the babies to stop crying. I ended up cursing out a nurse who told me it wasnt anything to be upset about. Like Really? Thats something I can never get back. @tiff87124
  • They are a waste in my oppinion, your spending money on refills and they don't even prevent gas as they should....the best bottles I've ever tried for babies are the Dr.browns bottles.. a lil pricey but totally worth it!