Is it okay to get a mani or pedi?

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
I heard that it was unsafe to get a manicure or pedicure while pregnant because of the chemicals in salon products. Anyone know this to be true?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't see how it could be any worse than painting your nails, sooo many women get it done and I have never heard anything bad to come of it. I really wanna get my nails done but I hate sitting there for an hour, bored out of my mind.
  • Thanks for the quick responses! I forgot where I even heard about it, but it has something to do with nail polish remover. I have wondered about it ever since.
  • That's very good advice. We could start a whole new thread about not listening to the do's and don'ts!
  • Lol, yes! I have heard that one, too! If you posted a topic about some of the false don'ts I think you would help a lot of women.
  • Oh I understand, I was just saying since there is so much "advice" on the Internet that is questionable. I wish I could do it but I don't know enough about the topic!
  • I eat deli meat at least once a week. Screw the donts @kerrideern
  • I just got a mani & pedi Saturday! I love to be pampered n I go for my prenatal massage Friday. I prob will eat some fish or a cold cut sandwich on my way there. Lol
  • Im 35 wks and have kepts my nails and feet done the entire time :) my baby girl is perfect and healthy so I think there's no harm and it helps make you feel pretty when you start getting big lol and getting a pedi is so nice when you have a hard time reaching your feet :)
  • @kerrideern no, dont lock yourself in the bathroom, there's mold and mildew in there! A plastic bubble is ideal.
  • a bpa free plastic bubble.
  • edited April 2011
    When I was pregnant with my first son I use to get pedi and mani every month n my son is prefectly fine n I ate deli meats too I get pedi n mani once in awhile now n I'm 35 weeks now I heard gettin tattoos r bad while ur pregnant they say u can go in to labor or something bad can happened
  • I would try to get earliest appointment. As the day goes on those place fill up with perm and dye job fumes that personally make me nauseous. I had to reschedule my haircut last time I went in bc it was so bad by 2pm. Course a lot of people don't have weak stomach like me, so just a piece of advice if you do :)
  • @proudmommyof2boys not getting tattoos is true I'm not sure why I think its something to do with adrenaline, I asked my tattoo guy and my doc they both said no. But I will get mine done right after the baby gets here
  • I thought it was because your skin doesn't take the ink as well when preggo. That it fades or takes on irregular coloration or something.
  • Yea the other day I went in the tattoo place just to look at something so I know wat I wanted to get after my son is born n the guy keep on sayin u can't get a tattoo while ur pregnant I looked at him n said I have 5 weeks to go I'm just lookin now I have 4 weeks to go I want to get a tattoo of my kids names cuz the last time I had a tattoo was 3 years ago b4 I had my first son n I never got his name on me so I wanted to get both of there names
  • The tattoo thing is because increased risk of infection while your immune system is low plus possible problems from the ink. I would definitely wait to get any tats til after the baby comes!
  • i just got a pedi yesterday, it was great!! the only thing i have heard is that there's a certain pressure point in your ankle that can induce labor if rubbed too hard...idk if that's true though lol
  • I go every few weeks no harm done here it's more of a problem for pregnant techinicians we are in and out in an hour r two
  • I got a pedi few weeks ago and it felt great
  • edited April 2011
    I've heard people say you shouldn't get a mani.or pedi because of formaldehyde in the nail polish. But the same people who say that wouldn't paint their nail preggo or not

I wouldn't worry about getting one. Honestly the end of pregnancy is my favorite time to get pedi's ;)