**** Taking a 13+ hr road trip in a week.... need survival suggestion!!!! *******

edited April 2011 in Military moms
My husband and I are from Michigan but we are stationed in NC, im pregnant with my 2nd child and for the summer my daughter wanted to spend her last yr as the only child with my mother, so we will be traveling (by car) back home to drop her off and visit family for a couple days. We've taken this Michigan bound trip 3 previous times before, but NEVER pregnant! I'm a little worried about being in the car that long because i already get body aches and pain just from sitting at home so i can just imagine how it will be traveling for 13+ hrs (maybe more since i have to pee all the time) ! I've been hearing different horror stories of swelling of the legs, feet, etc and horrible body pains from prego's that have travel during pregnancy and i'm a little worried. We are having a baby shower there once we get there as well and the last thing i want to look like is a swollen whale when everyone see's me... especially since most of our family havent seen us in over a yr! . ANy suggestions on how to make it through this trip????????????? THANKS

Comments

• I was 6 months pregnant with my first and did a 18 hour drive to Utah from Texas!!! I slept most of the time
  • @mamaofchris ... how did ur body hold up on the trip, were u sore and achy?
  • I took a trip that was 5 hrs when I was 7 mo. with my daughter. I was ok when I got there we left after 2 days the day after I got home I swelled up like a balloon I had 12 lbs of water weight & my blood pressure shot up my Dr sent me to the hospital cuz he thought I was having preeclampsia but I wasn't it took about 2 wks to go away.
  • Omg. Ill be 33 weeks pregnant and making a 9 hour trip from nc to jersey for my baby shower. I heard stopping as often as possible and walking around helps....
  • I did 18 hours when I was 22 weeks. I got the backseat to myself so I could lay down kinda and switch from side to side. I packed a cooler with snacks like cheese sticks, peanut butter abd veggies, lots of water, crackers etc. when we stopped for gas or whatever I powerwalked around for at least ten minutes. Other than that just try to sleep as much as possible. My ob said have a little benedryl if u need help sleeping
  • They do say u should stop & walk arould for 10 to 15 min every hr. & try to keep ur feet up while in the car.
  • Everytime u stop go out walk n pee! Keep urself hydrated n take xtra pillows n blankets, please dnt forget to wear ur seatbelt. Try to relax n occupy urself w music, movies, books n take something in case u get carsick
  • Walking and water!!
  • Where are you from in MI? Make sure you stay hydrated, walk as much as possible & prop your legs up if you're able to.
  • I myself will be making a 15 hr trip in july with a 3.5 year old... Not looking forward to the car part lol
  • Makee suree youu change positionss because if you stay thee same ur tummy might hurt & make suree you get down the car in anychance you get ! So you won't feel as sore .
  • When I was about 13 weeks, we drove from az to idaho! It took us almost 26 hrs & I made a nest in the front seat with pillows (5 of them!) I had to stop & pee alot & made sure I walked around each time, had lots of snacks & water. Just don't feel guilty to pull over when u need to. Even if you just did!
  • Potty break as often as you can No salty snacks lots of water
  • @camommy... thanks for that input, i didnt think about the salty snacks thing! I will make sure i watch out for that... because of swelling right?

@madilynn, 5 pillows huh?! lol... okay that might work lol. I already have a hard time just gettin comfortable on my couch, so i know in a car will be morbid! lol

@StarKrayzie , i'm from detroit!!

@theswift4 , When u swelled up was it because u didnt stop much or drink enough fluids or something? We are stayin in Michigan for the same amount of days (2-3days), and i was worried about taking that trip back and forth so close without my body having not enough time to recoup from the hrs on the road. Does this sound close to why ur body went through what it did when u got back home?

TO ALL OF YOU LADIES.... thank you so much for ur input, it will help me much and some of my worries are a little settle now. So thanks, i'll be sure to make an update once we get back to let u all know how it went! :)
  • I drank a ton of water. But we were in a hurry & I did not get out & walk near enough. Plus we were on the go the whole time we were there & we have a Ford focus very small car.
  • @bunny_424 What part of Detroit? I'm about 30 minutes from Detroit, in Waterford / Pontiac.
  • edited April 2011
    @bunny_424. I did a 15 hr trip at the start of my pregnancy and from new oleans to san francisco in the 7th month of my first pregnancy. Put your feet up on the dashboard when you can. Walk around at every stop for at least 5 to 10 min try taking fresh veggies and fruit for your snacks string cheese is good too wear loose fitting clothes
  • @starkrayzie, my mom lives on the east and my husband is from the west. I have family all over detroit/romulus, and southfield area.

@camommy, thanks a lot. I'm paying attention to the details of what time of snacks u ladies are saying to take. I had chips and fruit in my head... but i think another mom said to stay away from salt as much as possible, so im gonna use ur advice on the string cheese and veggies instead! THANKS!