Wats da purpose of circumsition?

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
Ok idk why dey do it... Dey dnt do it in mexico (not dat I kno of)

Comments

• My father is portuguese and no boy is circumsized. I had our son circumsized bc of his fathers views on it. I know you will hear things like cleanliness, health ect. We all know penise can be well cared for without removal of foreskin, but honestly as a woman I find it more pleasing to remove it. This is just my humble opinion tho.
  • Oh.. Thx. Well im having a girl so dnt have to worry about dat yet... :)
  • Congrats!! Baby girls are adorable too.
  • Boys aren't circumcised in the UK either unless for religious reasons or medical problems
  • so it looks like dey mainly do it here in the U.S.!?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Really there is no medical reason it needs to be done. Some people do it for religois reasons. Some do it because it looks prettier. Lol
  • edited April 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I heard its easier to clean and I honestly think it looks better. My baby boy is getting circumcised.
  • Banning it seems pretty silly, but a lot of health insurance companies wont cover it, due to it being cosmetic. United Healthcare did, but now that I have Medicaid, its a no-go.
  • edited April 2011
  • @CaptainMorgaine medicaid wont cover babies cicumcision??
  • @maymommy11 Nope. If BD wants it, hes gonna have to fork out for it. I personally don't care either way, I have no doubt that my son is going to be a stud, circumsized or not. :)
  • My sister has Medicaid and they wouldn't pay for it. They didn't get it done because they couldn't afford it. I think my insurance covers it.
  • It is not for cosmetic reasons. Circumcision is performed on boys because it is cleanlier and more hygienic. Yes, a penis can be cared for without circumcision but as an infant in a diaper its hard to keep moisture and bacteria from getting trapped in or around the extra skin. As we get older it becomes more aesthetically pleasing and less about hygiene :)
  • @FirstTimeMommyToBe do you know how to find out? Online?
  • @CaptainMorgaine oh if I have to ill pay for it. Well fiance will lol.
  • edited April 2011
  • There is NO medical reason it's merely personal preference or religious reasoning! I've had many doctors tell me there is NO medical reason the studies that are coming back from doing it are showing the myths of circumcision are FALSE! It's not dirty! it's not hard to keep clean! and rare, if taken care of properly I.E. good hygiene, that any surgery is need later in life! Also it's 2011 people don't get made fun of for it anymore! Most people from other countries are not even circumcised....I will not circumcise my son.... My fiance it not and NONE of his brothers or friends are, or any of his family! and none of them had any problems also my grandparents were not and no problems.... again personal preference. Not any less cleaner or less hygienic to not be circumcised that it false....
  • lol sorry I just get annoyed with the cleanliness thing.... that's completely false! some people are just dirty circumcised or not....
  • @firsttimemommytobe I have nothing against either way I got my first son done but only because I was 16 and just flowed with what everyone told me to do... now I know the facts and am making the decision. Assuming things is a huge pet peeve of mine too lol.
  • @everyone!! I'm not saying I agree one way or the other and I am not suggesting that an uncircumcised penis is "dirty" in the sense that these responses are suggesting. It is only a hygiene concern when the baby is in diapers and can be stuck in a wet diaper for any length of time. I am in my last year of medical school and believe it or not this is a constant topic of conversation! If ya tested for bacteria under the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis and then a circumcised penis the results would show that there were more bacteria on the uncircumcised penis 100% of the time, I promise! Again, this is only an issue when the little one is in a diaper and even then it rarely leads to infections.. it IS personal preference because of the low rate of infection, personal aesthetic preference and religious affiliation BUT if a doctor suggests it today it is for hygiene reasons.