Custody question, what rights does the father have?

13»

Comments

• Well I think in some cases people should protect there kid and themselves and not put a dad on the birth certificate. However it is not a tool to use to manipulate your bd into doing what you want him to. Some people don't want to be involved and others do.My mother has never been involved but I'm glad my dad never took custody from her when I was younger and prevented it. @Xarmygirl your story sounds horrible and I feel for you this is obviously a sensitive subject for you but I don't think your your story matches the original post. It maymake sence for you to leave the name off.@Tig81 I think you may want to wait and see what he does when you have the baby the birth certificateis usually the next day so really think about what the situation is then don't use the past to make the desision.
  • Me too....everyone is entitled to an opinion and it didn't seen to me anyone was being rude.....
  • @due71011 I'm glad you have an opinion. You know it would be a novel if i gave my 2 cents on custody battles.

@bethybaby i hate hate hate when people are called out for things they shouldnt be.
  • edited May 2011
    Well it was rude to argue on here wen she was jus wanting advice n for a person who has a problem with rudeness plz knw u were also rude!! I thought this would be helpful also but got completely lost with the fighting THANKS!!
  • @Tlg81, despite all the fighting on here, the central point is that we all know you will do what you feel is best for your child. Unfortunately there are a lot of us here with some bad experiences that can cloud our judgement. So instead of telli g you what I did in response to a negative BD, Ill tell you what I did to make my decision: lots and lots of research. Using google, I looked into precedents for my state (e.g., from a legal standpoint, Utah is neither a mother nor a father state.) I also looked into what is needed to determine if parental rights can be terminated, and looked into the states minimum visitation requirements. After that, I felt I understood some things better, but I was still confused, so I contacted a family lawyer in the phonebook that advertised free consultations. I explained the situation to her and what I had already looked into and understood, and she was great about putting everything into laymens terms for me.

I know that whatever you do, youll do for your baby. :) Good luck, and be prepared to take a lot of breaks to breathe and cool off!
  • @captainmorgaine, thanks I believe you're advice was the most rational, sane and responsible piece on here. I truly appreciate the time you took to help and will look into those things. Thanks again!
  • edited May 2011
    Im going through the same thing. My bd has not been involved at all and I think im going to give my son my last name