Induction

I am 22 weeks with my first baby, a boy. My husband and I are very excited. I have Type II diabetes ( not gestational, I have had it for 5 years) and a history of high blood pressure. I see a high risk OB, whom I love, but he wants to take the baby at 39 weeks, and I have been reading some books and they say to let the baby stay as long as possible. Now I know that most of these books pertain to healthy pregnancies, which aside from the diabetes ( my numbers have been pristine!) I am also having. I just worry because I want to have a natural birth, and everyone tells me that if you are induced with Pitosin that the contractions are harder and more intense, si I am afraid that I will not be able to have a natural birth. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I absolutely agree with @homebirthadvocate. Also, keep in mind that late ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. Your OB may push for an ultrasound at 38 or 39 weeks and tell you the baby is huge... but these ultrasounds can be off by up to 2 pounds in either direction... that can be an enormous difference. So your "9lb." baby might only weigh 7lb. and that is actually really common!

All that said, I don't have diabetes... I just have big babies. My last was 10 pounds and born at home without any problems at all. In fact, he was probably my easiest birth! Big babies often have more fat stores... and fat is squishy! Lol! :)
  • Thank you both for responding! This seriously keeps me up at night!
    @liacsiamese77 God Bless you! 10lb babies! All of my sisters (3 of them) have had 2 kids and the first one was over 9 lbs. My husband was a big baby too, and I was average, so I am kinda hoping my little guy takes after me in that respect!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I actually had an appointment yesterday and asked my doctor about this. He said that as long as everything looks ok, and my sugar and blood pressure are controled we don't have to induce!