What are they looking for?

At the US around 20 weeks, most people just want to know that their baby is healthy and the gender. Do y'all know what else they look for though? Seems like so many other things could go wrong. I know they take measurements to be sure growth is on track and count fingers and toes and check for cleft palette. Also I know they take a look at the brain and heart. (I'm just wondering. I'm 19 weeks and my US on Friday was great! Gender is secret though. :) )

Comments

• They look at all the anatomy and organs to check on their growth and look for any potential problems. They measure blood flow and things to your baby, they do quite a bit!
  • With my first baby, the US took close to an hour but Pebble's was only like 15 minutes. My 1st had hers done by a technician and this one was done by a perinatologist. She zoomed around so fast I didn't get any good glimpses of the baby. Maybe she was able to check everything real good in 15 minutes because she's better at it? The pics sucked too. :-(
  • I had an US last week (18 wks pregnant) and the tech measured the cerebellum, checked the palate, looked at blood flow in the heart to check for holes, measured the humerus and femur, looked at each hand/foot, measured head circumference, checked out the spine, looked at the kidneys, not sure what else. I was quite amazed at the detail and at everything they were able to check by ultrasound. Technology is AMAZING!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So how long did all that stuff take BOWsMommy. And do you know what else they need to take pics of FirstTimeMommyToBe?
  • Not only do they check the babies measurements but my doc also checks the thickness of your cervix cause this can be a hint at preterm or early labor especially for secondary pregnancies or high risk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.